Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Markup error and display errors

Markup error and display errors

Knut Krueger

Hi to all

1. question

http://arnfelser.knut-krueger.de/index.php?db=text:10
(only the links -> "Bilder" have no html errors except the <h2>, the
other text files are build and frequently changed with an online web
editor and have some more errors.

There is a markup error because I would like to get the first line
bigger. What else could I use to get an bigger fontsize without markup
error:
document type does not allow element "H2" here; missing one of "OBJECT",
"MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag

<li><a href="http:...php?db=text:11"><h2>Junges Theater</h2></a></li>
<

2. question .. always the same problems with IE and Firefox:

the grey box is more left in IE, and not on the right side
There must be any mark up mismatch but I do not find it.

3. question
there is a gap over the blue box, any suggestions why?

Thanks in advance for your help
Knut

tread: how to arrange container with three pictures
p.s I changed from 3 pics to two pics
Now is is more easy than before.

Jonathan N. Little

Knut Krueger wrote:
> Hi to all
>
> 1. question
>
> http://arnfelser.knut-krueger.de/index.php?db=text:10
> (only the links -> "Bilder" have no html errors except the <h2>, the
> other text files are build and frequently changed with an online web
> editor and have some more errors.
>
> There is a markup error because I would like to get the first line
> bigger. What else could I use to get an bigger fontsize without markup
> error:
> document type does not allow element "H2" here; missing one of "OBJECT",
> "MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag
>
> <li><a href="http:...php?db=text:11"><h2>Junges Theater</h2></a></li>

Then style with CSS and not use an inappropriate bit of markup.

1) H# are block elements
2) A elements can only contain inline elements not block so your H2 is a
no-no.
3) H1-6 are "heading" elements meant for headings! Not to style text to
be larger, just that by default headings are usually larger than body text.
4) Style your A element

CSS:

..noticeMe { font-size: 2.5em; font-weight: bold; }

HTML:

<li><a href="http:...php?db=text:11" class="noticeMe">Junges
Theater</a></li>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

richard

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:45:41 +0200, Knut Krueger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi to all
>
>1. question
>
>http://arnfelser.knut-krueger.de/index.php?db=text:10
>(only the links -> "Bilder" have no html errors except the <h2>, the
>other text files are build and frequently changed with an online web
>editor and have some more errors.
>
>There is a markup error because I would like to get the first line
>bigger. What else could I use to get an bigger fontsize without markup
>error:
>document type does not allow element "H2" here; missing one of "OBJECT",
>"MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag
>
><li><a href="http:...php?db=text:11"><h2>Junges Theater</h2></a></li>
><
>
>2. question .. always the same problems with IE and Firefox:
>
>the grey box is more left in IE, and not on the right side
>There must be any mark up mismatch but I do not find it.
>
>3. question
>there is a gap over the blue box, any suggestions why?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help
>Knut
>

>tread: how to arrange container with three pictures
>p.s I changed from 3 pics to two pics
>Now is is more easy than before.

Try

<li><h2><a>text</a></h2></li>

What is the point of font-size:100.01%????

In this pixelated world that is really doing nothing.
You're using em everywhere else so why not use it here as well?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Try
>
><li><h2><a>text</a></h2></li>

No! That makes no sense structurally.

<h2>Cats</h2>
<ul>
<li>content</li>
<li>content</li>
</ul>
<h2>Dogs</h2>
<ul>
<li>content</li>
<li>content</li>
</ul>

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Knut Krueger

Jonathan N. Little schrieb:

> Then style with CSS and not use an inappropriate bit of markup.
>
> <li><a href="http:...php?db=text:11" class="noticeMe">Junges
> Theater</a></li>

Thanks I tried to style the text with css but it didn't work
I did not try to style the <a ..> element.

Knut

Knut Krueger

richard schrieb:

> <li><h2><a>text</a></h2></li>
>
> What is the point of font-size:100.01%????

Good question, it was in an example of an css layout. I forgot why and
Do not have the remarks of that.
Does anybody knows whether it is an workaround for any Browser bug?
I would suggest, because it makes no other sense to increase the
fontsice from 100% to 100.01%

Regards Knut

Knut Krueger

Jonathan N. Little schrieb:
> Knut Krueger wrote:

> CSS:
>
> .noticeMe { font-size: 2.5em; font-weight: bold; }

Hi Jonathan,
why isn't color not working in this excample?

..noticeMe { font-size: 2.5em; color: white; font-weight: bold; }

..noticeMe { font-size: 2.5em; font-weight: bold; }

<li style="color:white"><a href="http:...php?db=text:11"
class="noticeMe">Junges Theater</a></li>

does also not work

Regards Knut

richard

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:18:50 +0000 (UTC), Adrienne Boswell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Try
>>
>><li><h2><a>text</a></h2></li>
>>

>No! That makes no sense structurally.
>
><h2>Cats</h2>
><ul>
><li>content</li>
><li>content</li>
></ul>
><h2>Dogs</h2>
><ul>
><li>content</li>
><li>content</li>
></ul>

<ul>
<li>
<h2>
search
</a>
</h2>
</li>
</ul>

validates just fine in 4.01 transitional.

Knut Krueger

richard schrieb:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:18:50 +0000 (UTC), Adrienne Boswell
>
> <ul>
> <li>
> <h2>
> search
> </a>
> </h2>
> </li>
> </ul>
>

> validates just fine in 4.01 transitional.

I validated in 4.01 strict

Regards Knut

John Hosking

Knut Krueger wrote:

> http://arnfelser.knut-krueger.de/index.php?db=text:10

> 3. question
> there is a gap over the blue box, any suggestions why?

Actually, that's not so much a gap over the blue box as it is a gap
under the bar_r.jpg image.

That gap is there for the descenders (low-hanging parts of letters like
y, p, q, g, etc.) in your text. What? You say you don't have any text
there? The browser doesn't know that, so you get the extra space by
default, just in case.

One way to fix this is to tell the browser there's no text, by giving
the img display type block.

img { display:block; }

Try it and test it (in various browsers). You may have to apply an id or
class, depending on what other images you have on the page or other
pages in the site.

--
John