Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ODE, GUI, plotter in Python

ODE, GUI, plotter in Python

Ala

Hello everyone.

I am starting on implementing a simulator using python, and since it's
the first time I code in python would appreciate a few pointers:

The simulator will use a coupled ODE for the most part of the
simulation, I plan to use scipy. (Anything considered faster/better
than scipy for solving coupled ODEs? )

I plan for a GUI program with network graph plotting. I am leaning
towards using Qt for the GUI (internet forums seem to recommend it,
anyone got other preferences? )

Since the GUI application will contain few buttons and a plot, I am
planning to implement matplotlib into the GUI. But does anyone know if
matplotlib allows for interaction with the graph plot? (say for a
network simulation, allowing to right click on nodes and disable them
for instance, or alter some other properties of nodes and/or links
across them).

I am just starting out, hence I'd rather get some advice and experiment
a bit for my self as I go along.

Thank you.

Diez B. Roggisch

> you should take a look at
> http://pyode.sourceforge.net/

I think he's talking about "ordinary differential equations". While these
are part of physics-simulations (and the ODE-libraries' name might be a
PUN), PyODE is not what the OP is after.

Diez

Eduardo Lenz

Em Ter 16 Jun 2009, às 09:00:02, Ala escreveu:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am starting on implementing a simulator using python, and since it's
> the first time I code in python would appreciate a few pointers:
>
> The simulator will use a coupled ODE for the most part of the
> simulation, I plan to use scipy. (Anything considered faster/better
> than scipy for solving coupled ODEs? )
>
> I plan for a GUI program with network graph plotting. I am leaning
> towards using Qt for the GUI (internet forums seem to recommend it,
> anyone got other preferences? )
>
> Since the GUI application will contain few buttons and a plot, I am
> planning to implement matplotlib into the GUI. But does anyone know if
> matplotlib allows for interaction with the graph plot? (say for a
> network simulation, allowing to right click on nodes and disable them
> for instance, or alter some other properties of nodes and/or links
> across them).
>
> I am just starting out, hence I'd rather get some advice and experiment
> a bit for my self as I go along.
>
> Thank you.

you should take a look at
http://pyode.sourceforge.net/

and pygame.

[]'s
Eduardo.
--

Eduardo Lenz Cardoso
Dr. Eng.

State University of Santa Catarina
Department of Mechanical Engineering
89223-100 - Joinville-SC - Brasil

Tel: +55 47 4009-7971 - Fax: +55 47 4009-7940
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
acredita-se estar livre de perigo.

Rob Clewley

There was just an announcement on this list and the scipy list for
PyLab_Works, which sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I
would not recommend starting over with a new simulator at this point.
-Rob