Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Do I need a switch with VLAN and QoS?

Re: Do I need a switch with VLAN and QoS?

Thrill5

QoS is a layer 3 method of prioritizing IP traffic so that lower priority
traffic is dropped before higher priority traffic when there is conjestion
on a link between routers. A switch is a layer 2 device which does not
apply QoS but it can be used to mark the priority of the traffic. In your
case you need a router that does QoS at the two locations where the VoIP
traffic is. You will need to mark the traffic appropriately so that you and
your MPLS provider use the same QoS markings and that they mean the same
thing. You will also need to make sure that the VoIP traffic is prioritized
on your outbound links to the MPLS cloud, so that your router is dropping
the non-VoIP traffic before other traffic. Once in the MPLS cloud your
provider will honor the markings and also drop non-VoIP traffic first. I
would suggest you get some assistance in putting this together. The vendor
that supports your Avaya system is a good place to look for help as they
will be very familier with QoS and how to implement it correctly.

news:h16igo$idk$(E-Mail Removed)...