Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > "Download" or "View" PDF document?

Reply
Thread Tools

"Download" or "View" PDF document?

 
 
David Segall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
I recently added a PDF document to my web site
<http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?

I don't think this would have been a problem if the document appeared
quickly but a couple of them said that the download failed. I would
appreciate reports from anyone who tries to access the document about
if it succeeds and how long it takes. It is hosted by the free version
of <http://www.000webhost.com/> so the information would supplement
that already posted about 000WebHost.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
David Segall wrote:

> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?


The 'where' of a download is up to the visitor, not you or your website.
The download dialog allows user to choose where they want to save it.
(I'm frequently amused by people who say "I downloaded a file and now I
can't find it.")

> I don't think this would have been a problem if the document appeared
> quickly but a couple of them said that the download failed. I would
> appreciate reports from anyone who tries to access the document about
> if it succeeds and how long it takes.


Using Ubuntu/Firefox 3.0.11, your file downloaded quite fast on my cable
connection. I saved it to where I wanted to save it. Then I tried to
open it with my document viewer, and got the following error message, so
this may be part of your problem:

Unhandled MIME type: "application/octet-stream"

It is not my reader, as it works just fine for other PDFs.

> It is hosted by the free version of <http://www.000webhost.com/> so
> the information would supplement that already posted about
> 000WebHost.


Be careful about storing important stuff at that host. Some have posted
that they may terminate an account without warning, and for no apparent
reason. I see you pump them up at http://profectus.asia/ee_cheapweb.html
and use them for your entire site. Just so ya know.

It's a nice looking site; take care of it.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harlan Messinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
David Segall wrote:
> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?


Then these same people are baffled by anything they download from
anywhere on the web. It's a problem of theirs, as much as it is if they
try to print a page from your site and find that a default printer
hasn't been set on their computer. They could hardly expect you to help
them with *that*.

Firefox doesn't ask you with each download where you want it to go, but
it has a download manager that by default shows a brief notification
balloon when download is complete that you can click on to access the
file. They can also access it from the Firefox menu using Tools |
Downloads. So they don't actually have to know up front where the
documents are being stored in order to access them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Harlan Messinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
Ed Mullen wrote:
> Harlan Messinger wrote:
>> David Segall wrote:
>>> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
>>> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
>>> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
>>> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
>>> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?

>>
>> Then these same people are baffled by anything they download from
>> anywhere on the web. It's a problem of theirs, as much as it is if
>> they try to print a page from your site and find that a default
>> printer hasn't been set on their computer. They could hardly expect
>> you to help them with *that*.
>>
>> Firefox doesn't ask you with each download where you want it to go, but

>
> Mine /always/ asks because I set that option.
>
>> it has a download manager that by default shows a brief notification
>> balloon when download is complete that you can click on to access the
>> file. They can also access it from the Firefox menu using Tools |
>> Downloads. So they don't actually have to know up front where the
>> documents are being stored in order to access them.

>
> Not if they automatically clear the download history each time they
> close the program which is how mine is set up.


People who have managed to configure their download options are
perfectly capable of going back into the configuration to see for
themselves what directory they are downloading to and won't be flustered
by the concept.
 
Reply With Quote
 
cwdjrxyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
On Jun 15, 10:39*am, David Segall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?
>
> I don't think this would have been a problem if the document appeared
> quickly but a couple of them said that the download failed. I would
> appreciate reports from anyone who tries to access the document about
> if it succeeds and how long it takes. It is hosted by the free version
> of <http://www.000webhost.com/> so the information would supplement
> that already posted about 000WebHost.


I used Firefox and have a measured download of over 6000 kbps from a
server that is not overloaded. It took about 40 seconds for your file
to appear, which is exceptionally long on my system for the file
length you have. There may be some congestion between my computer and
your server, or your server may be overloaded, which is not uncommon
on servers for free or very low priced services. I receive the e-
edition of the local newspaper as PDF, and some of their pages with
photos have a file size considerably larger than yours. The pages
usually come up very fast, a matter of just a few seconds at worst.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
On 15 Jun 2009, David Segall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?
>
> I don't think this would have been a problem if the document appeared
> quickly but a couple of them said that the download failed. I would
> appreciate reports from anyone who tries to access the document about
> if it succeeds and how long it takes. It is hosted by the free
> version of <http://www.000webhost.com/> so the information would
> supplement that already posted about 000WebHost.


I've always had problems with .pdf files and think they suck.
Nevertheless, after reading the replies previous to this gem, I think
it's a server issue.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jan C. Faerber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
On 15 Jun., 18:04, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > 000WebHost.

>
> Be careful about storing important stuff at that host.


pinging at 000webhost.com: 208.43.150.234
at www.hosting24.com: 208.43.151.205

So why is the last hop with tracert 000webhost.com
server.hosting24.com on the same IP like 000webhost.com???

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Segall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?


Yes, there is something, you can helpfully tell your readers: to right
click (or control click for some Macs) and save where they like. It is a
common problem for *lots of folk* who use computers quite a bit but are
yet not *very* computer literate. How you do this is up to you.

If it is the odd download in the middle of a page somewhere a simple
something like: "Right-click or Control-click (for some Macs) to
download" can be helpfully inserted as a note. If you have a page
devoted specially to downloads, on that page you can add a note about
this matter at more length:

Note: You can download any of the following newsletters to your computer
and read or print them as you please, on or offline. Right-click or
Control-click (for some Macs) to download.

Ignore all absurdly exaggerated slippery slope arguments and do this
helpful thing to help those who have systems that do not auto ask where,
and for those that are using other people's computers and do not know
where the owner may have set such a thing up.

On my sites that use downloads, they tend not to be just this or that
odd one. So this is the strategy I employ: I give the isolated link in
some page (eg. download the <a href="">latest newsletter</a> without
specific help. But I add that you can also get this document at such and
such download page where some further help is provided about how to
download.

Depends on the site and audience.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Hosking
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2009
David Segall wrote:
> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?


You *could* have, as a buddy, but it's not your official concern as a
Webmaster. Where it gets saved is up to the user (and hir browser
configuration).

>
> I don't think this would have been a problem if the document appeared
> quickly but a couple of them said that the download failed. I would
> appreciate reports from anyone who tries to access the document about
> if it succeeds and how long it takes.


Success, both in loading and then opening for viewing, and viewing
"immediately". In either case the download took about 50 seconds.


--
John
In Switzerland with ADSL
FF2 and Foxit Reader 3
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Segall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2009
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>David Segall wrote:
>
>> I recently added a PDF document to my web site
>> <http://profectus.asia/ee_kdf6.html> and advised a few former
>> colleagues that it was there. One of them complained that he did not
>> know where, on his computer, the PDF would be downloaded to. Should I
>> have said "You can _view_ the KDF6 sales brochure"?

>
>The 'where' of a download is up to the visitor, not you or your website.
>The download dialog allows user to choose where they want to save it.
>(I'm frequently amused by people who say "I downloaded a file and now I
>can't find it.")


Yes, but I assume that my former colleague, like most people, has
simply installed the Adobe reader that would open it in his browser if
the "download" was successful. Perhaps one should say "view" rather
than "download" and maybe even provide download instructions as
suggested by dorayme.
>
>> I don't think this would have been a problem if the document appeared
>> quickly but a couple of them said that the download failed. I would
>> appreciate reports from anyone who tries to access the document about
>> if it succeeds and how long it takes.

>
>Using Ubuntu/Firefox 3.0.11, your file downloaded quite fast on my cable
>connection. I saved it to where I wanted to save it. Then I tried to
>open it with my document viewer, and got the following error message, so
>this may be part of your problem:
>
> Unhandled MIME type: "application/octet-stream"
>
>It is not my reader, as it works just fine for other PDFs.


My PDF works fine in other readers I use a program called Paperport
to scan images and store them as PDF files. It is likely that the
problem is caused by their program using an unusual feature. It may
even generate incorrect PDFs that are tolerated by Adobe's reader.
If you want to pursue the problem
<http://profectus.asia/text/portraitnotes.pdf> is a much smaller file
or I can generate a tiny one and email it to you. Google returns 9000
hits on your error message and "pdf".
>
>> It is hosted by the free version of <http://www.000webhost.com/> so
>> the information would supplement that already posted about
>> 000WebHost.

>
>Be careful about storing important stuff at that host. Some have posted
>that they may terminate an account without warning, and for no apparent
>reason. I see you pump them up at http://profectus.asia/ee_cheapweb.html
>and use them for your entire site. Just so ya know.
>
>It's a nice looking site; take care of it.


Thanks for your concern and the compliment but if it disappears
temporarily no one will suffer and, at the price, it seems
satisfactory. A cron job ensures that it has a regular visitor.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other Sean Nakasone Ruby 1 04-14-2008 09:13 PM
PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file. Ricardo Pog Ruby 1 03-26-2008 08:24 PM
Forced download of PDF producing 0kb PDF on only 1 computer darren@yellowpencil.com ASP .Net 1 05-05-2005 04:11 PM
Open linked PDF-Files from a PDF-File Paul Kuebler ASP .Net 8 08-18-2003 04:42 PM
Re: Open linked PDF-Files from a PDF-File Carl Prothman [MVP] ASP .Net 4 08-12-2003 09:26 AM



Advertisments