Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network card disabled after auto update of XP Service pack 3

Network card disabled after auto update of XP Service pack 3

RFH

My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated itself
on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
(the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon (beacon
looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
disappeared.

Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
night - to no avail.

Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver files
and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has installed -
it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file anywhere
to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my head
off a wall!

Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be grateful.

Thanks.

Pavel A.

Try HP support. If Windows was preinstalled on the laptop,
they are in charge.

-- pa

RFH wrote:
> My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated itself
> on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
> (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon (beacon
> looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
> disappeared.
>
> Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
> night - to no avail.
>
> Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver files
> and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has installed -
> it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file anywhere
> to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my head
> off a wall!
>
> Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.

Tae Song

"RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
> itself
> on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
> (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
> (beacon
> looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
> disappeared.
>
> Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
> night - to no avail.
>
> Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
> files
> and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
> installed -
> it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
> anywhere
> to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
> head
> off a wall!
>
> Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
> grateful.
>
> Thanks.

Start ->
Connect to ->
Show all connections

This will bring up a window showing network connections...

Right click on the wireless and select properties...

This will open a smaller window, at the bottom portion there will be two
check boxes...

Show icon in notification area when connected
Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

I think it's self explanatory from there.

RFH

cannot do this as wireless icons and files have disappeared/been disabled.
it has been totally fine until the update - i need to find out how to enable
it, but thanks for replying

"Tae Song" wrote:

> "RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
> > itself
> > on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
> > (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
> > (beacon
> > looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
> > disappeared.
> >
> > Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
> > night - to no avail.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
> > files
> > and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
> > installed -
> > it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
> > anywhere
> > to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
> > head
> > off a wall!
> >
> > Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
> > grateful.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Start ->
> Connect to ->
> Show all connections
>
> This will bring up a window showing network connections...
>
> Right click on the wireless and select properties...
>
> This will open a smaller window, at the bottom portion there will be two
> check boxes...
>
> Show icon in notification area when connected
> Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
>

> I think it's self explanatory from there.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Wireless card can be disables Physically. I.e., its electricity is turned
Off to it.
Check the Laptop Manual and make sure that the switch is On and the Wireless
is alive.
If it is On you have to check Vista's Device Manger and make sure that there
is a Valid Wireless card with good Drivers.
I do not have at hand screen Shoot for Vista, but the following page
describe the principle of what to look for in Win XP. The same principle
apply to Vista only the Location of the menus are in a different place.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
> itself
> on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
> (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
> (beacon
> looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
> disappeared.
>
> Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
> night - to no avail.
>
> Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
> files
> and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
> installed -
> it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
> anywhere
> to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
> head
> off a wall!
>
> Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
> grateful.
>
> Thanks.

RFH

My laptop is XP, wireless switch is on, the network card is disabled/not
visible still.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> Wireless card can be disables Physically. I.e., its electricity is turned
> Off to it.
> Check the Laptop Manual and make sure that the switch is On and the Wireless
> is alive.
> If it is On you have to check Vista's Device Manger and make sure that there
> is a Valid Wireless card with good Drivers.
> I do not have at hand screen Shoot for Vista, but the following page
> describe the principle of what to look for in Win XP. The same principle
> apply to Vista only the Location of the menus are in a different place.
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
> > itself
> > on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
> > (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
> > (beacon
> > looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
> > disappeared.
> >
> > Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
> > night - to no avail.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
> > files
> > and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
> > installed -
> > it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
> > anywhere
> > to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
> > head
> > off a wall!
> >
> > Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
> > grateful.
> >
> > Thanks.

Jack-MVP

Hi
Since you indicated that your Driver/Utility is running try to disable the
WALN Auto Config service in the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
Only one Wireless utility should run at one time.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My laptop is XP, wireless switch is on, the network card is disabled/not
> visible still.
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Wireless card can be disables Physically. I.e., its electricity is turned
>> Off to it.
>> Check the Laptop Manual and make sure that the switch is On and the
>> Wireless
>> is alive.
>> If it is On you have to check Vista's Device Manger and make sure that
>> there
>> is a Valid Wireless card with good Drivers.
>> I do not have at hand screen Shoot for Vista, but the following page
>> describe the principle of what to look for in Win XP. The same principle
>> apply to Vista only the Location of the menus are in a different place.
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
>> > itself
>> > on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network
>> > card/wifi
>> > (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
>> > (beacon
>> > looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side,
>> > has
>> > disappeared.
>> >
>> > Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on
>> > Friday
>> > night - to no avail.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
>> > files
>> > and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
>> > installed -
>> > it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
>> > anywhere
>> > to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging
>> > my
>> > head
>> > off a wall!
>> >
>> > Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
>> > grateful.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

smlunatick

On Jun 15, 4:38*pm, RFH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My laptop is XP, wireless switch is on, the network card is disabled/not
> visible still.
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:
> > Hi
> > Wireless card can be disables Physically. I.e., its electricity is turned
> > Off to it.
> > Check the Laptop Manual and make sure that the switch is On and the Wireless
> > is alive.
> > If it is On you have to check Vista's Device Manger and make sure that there
> > is a Valid Wireless card with good Drivers.
> > I do not have at hand screen Shoot for Vista, but the following page
> > describe the principle of what to look for in Win XP. The same principle
> > apply to Vista only the Location of the menus are in a different place.
> >http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> > "RFH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
> > > itself
> > > on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
> > > (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
> > > (beacon
> > > looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
> > > disappeared.

> > > Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
> > > night - to no avail.

> > > Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
> > > files
> > > and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
> > > installed -
> > > it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
> > > anywhere
> > > to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
> > > head
> > > off a wall!

> > > Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
> > > grateful.

> > > Thanks.

Use the bundled CDs to re-install the wireless adapter drivers and
WLan tool.