Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sygate firewall

sygate firewall

joevan

I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
seems Norton is screwy again.

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, joevan wrote:
> I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
> the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
> weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
> could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
> seems Norton is screwy again.

Why use that then?
Use this:
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

-James Madison

chuckcar

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
> the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
> weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
> could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
> seems Norton is screwy again.

You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
accept them right?

You don't have a router do you?

Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
the software that Symantec derived from. It isn't a software package any
more than "Microsoft" or "Apple" are.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

olfart

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
>> the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
>> weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
>> could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
>> seems Norton is screwy again.

> You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
> sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
> accept them right?
>
> You don't have a router do you?
>
> Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
> the software that Symantec derived from. It isn't a software package any
> more than "Microsoft" or "Apple" are.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

and when Norton wasn't writing software he was Ralph Cramdon's neighbor, was
married to Trixie and worked in a sewer

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
>sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
>accept them right?

This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.

>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
>the software that Symantec derived from.

Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
word for anything.

--

Just one adventure of Mr. Gay
http://www.fukung.net/v/11838/8df818...38e200fe39.jpg

joevan

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:41:51 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
>>sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
>>accept them right?

>This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.
>
>>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
>>the software that Symantec derived from.

>Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
>word for anything.

I see clearly about some people. Not to worry. They just take up l air
that the rest of us could use.
Funny but all is working now with the firewall set to normal. Doesn't
seem to have a regular pattern of working or not. Probably some bit of
flaky something else on this machine.

VanguardLH

(E-Mail Removed) wrote (on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:41:51 -0700):

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
>>sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
>>accept them right?

> This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.

Which shows that you have never used Sygate. This product would forget
its application rules. That meant any Allows you had defined were no
longer honored. It would also not prompt you when the application
wanted to make a connection because it already had a rule for that
application -- but for which it wasn't honoring. You had to delete the
application rule, run the application again, now get a prompt about the
application, and create a NEW rule for that application.

Once Sygate began forgetting its rules, there was no point in keeping
any of them. It would get worse and forget about others. So you
deleted them all and them recreated all of them again. Tis one of the
reasons that I dumped Sygate. Not because Symantec gobbled it up to
make it disappear (although that also meant the product was no longer
supported so all of its heuristics became antiquated), but because I
grew tired of having to redefine my app rules.

There are far better newer free firewall programs available. The OP
should dumped Sygate.

>>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
>>the software that Symantec derived from.

> Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
> word for anything.

And how did your post help the OP with his problem? Yeah, it didn't.
Oh, you must be a mystic. So EXACTLY which of the various Norton
products do YOU somehow magically *know* to which the OP referred?

Your "advice" in this thread has been worth the value noted in your
name.

elaich

VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:h1383n$oth$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org:

> Once Sygate began forgetting its rules, there was no point in keeping
> any of them. It would get worse and forget about others. So you
> deleted them all and them recreated all of them again. Tis one of the
> reasons that I dumped Sygate.

Same here. I'm still using Kerio 2.1.5 which works fine.

chuckcar

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:41:51 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications
>>>from sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could
>>>have it accept them right?

>>This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.
>>
>>>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally
>>>wrote the software that Symantec derived from.

>>Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
>>word for anything.

> I see clearly about some people. Not to worry. They just take up l air
> that the rest of us could use.

Believe what you want to, but you're wrong. Penny has been my personnal
pain here ever since she went off the deep end.

> Funny but all is working now with the firewall set to normal. Doesn't
> seem to have a regular pattern of working or not. Probably some bit of
> flaky something else on this machine.

Without you divulging any details - such as what this mysterious Symantec
product is (Norton Firewall maybe? - *never* run two firewall programs on
the same computer), no one can give you any kind of useful answer.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

wisdomkiller & pain

joevan wrote:

> I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
> the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
> weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
> could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
> seems Norton is screwy again.

Now do you have Norton AND sygate firewalls in action?
Btw., desktop "firewalls" are only a minor contribution to security, and
using more than one may even have a negative effect.