Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > using winsock over an adhoc wireless connection

Reply
Thread Tools

using winsock over an adhoc wireless connection

 
 
MrGarbage
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2009
I have 2 simple Windows C++ client and server applications that
communicate with
each other using sockets. The current implementation is wired ethernet
and a crossover cable (2 seperate PCs).

I need to migrate this to a Wireless Ad-hoc network connection.
I have successfully established an ad-hoc wireless connection.

I'm a little unclear as to how to progress...

In the wired implementaion I simply used a static IP address for
each of the two computers and I'm able to connect using those.

In this implementation I cannot be certain that a static IP is unique
to my
two machines.

How can I establish a socket connection to my other PC without knowing
it's
IP address?

I guess I could use static IPs and build in the security into the Ad-
Hoc connection itself
so that only my two machines can be members...

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tae Song
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2009

"MrGarbage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 simple Windows C++ client and server applications that
> communicate with
> each other using sockets. The current implementation is wired ethernet
> and a crossover cable (2 seperate PCs).
>
> I need to migrate this to a Wireless Ad-hoc network connection.
> I have successfully established an ad-hoc wireless connection.
>


If you've made a ad-hoc wireless connection, then IP address have/should be
sorted out.


> I'm a little unclear as to how to progress...
>
> In the wired implementaion I simply used a static IP address for
> each of the two computers and I'm able to connect using those.
>
> In this implementation I cannot be certain that a static IP is unique
> to my
> two machines.
>
> How can I establish a socket connection to my other PC without knowing
> it's
> IP address?
>


You need to make a call to the OS to query what IP address it has (is
assigned.)

You replace the static IP address you were using in a wired configuration
with the IP address that the OS says it has obtained through the process of
forming an ad-hoc wireless connection.


> I guess I could use static IPs and build in the security into the Ad-
> Hoc connection itself
> so that only my two machines can be members...
>
> Any suggestions appreciated!
>
> Thanks
> Mark
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G Theo Markettos UK VOIP 2 02-14-2008 03:27 PM
Winsock & Winsock 2 spears list Computer Support 3 10-16-2007 03:28 AM
Adhoc connection between two laptops =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaXVz?= Wireless Networking 3 05-24-2006 10:39 AM
Trying (and failing) at setting up a wireless adhoc connection Adnan Computer Support 2 05-08-2006 06:05 PM
File transfer over wireless adhoc =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGll?= Wireless Networking 3 11-25-2005 10:32 AM



Advertisments