Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > email software in 64 bit

email software in 64 bit

RoseW

has anyone tried the Qmail3 http://q3.snak.org/en/ ?
listed at the site for 64 bit software
http://www.start64.com/

I'm on XpPro 64bit at the moment and looking forward to the Windows7 arrival
but I was looking around for an alternative e-mail and newsreader
(alternative to WLM). Noticed this start64.com site has a newsreader as
well.

Just wondered if anyone had tried these.
Rose

--
http://rwgallery.gogax.com

TMA

or else you can use the neat Windows Live Mail which you can download for
free directly from the MS website

Go to www.microsoft.com and look for Windows Live, and when you download the
little installer, it will prompt you which programs you want. Messenger,
Live Mail, Picture viewer, ...

That's the program we all seem to be using here.

"RoseW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> has anyone tried the Qmail3 http://q3.snak.org/en/ ?
> listed at the site for 64 bit software
> http://www.start64.com/
>
> I'm on XpPro 64bit at the moment and looking forward to the Windows7
> arrival
> but I was looking around for an alternative e-mail and newsreader
> (alternative to WLM). Noticed this start64.com site has a newsreader as
> well.
>
> Just wondered if anyone had tried these.
> Rose
>
> --
> http://rwgallery.gogax.com

Vic Baron

erm.... I thought she was looking for an "alternative to WLM" as stated in
the post. I would assume WLM = Windows Live Mail.

Rose - even though they say 64 bit is not supported, it works just fine for
me.

"TMA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> or else you can use the neat Windows Live Mail which you can download for
> free directly from the MS website
>
> Go to www.microsoft.com and look for Windows Live, and when you download
> the little installer, it will prompt you which programs you want.
> Messenger, Live Mail, Picture viewer, ...
>
> That's the program we all seem to be using here.
>
> "RoseW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> has anyone tried the Qmail3 http://q3.snak.org/en/ ?
>> listed at the site for 64 bit software
>> http://www.start64.com/
>>
>> I'm on XpPro 64bit at the moment and looking forward to the Windows7
>> arrival
>> but I was looking around for an alternative e-mail and newsreader
>> (alternative to WLM). Noticed this start64.com site has a newsreader as
>> well.
>>
>> Just wondered if anyone had tried these.
>> Rose
>>
>> --
>> http://rwgallery.gogax.com

Bobby Johnson

Do they have any supporting documents in English?

If you want English documentation try Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm using it
in Win 7 currently, but I have never seen any problem with it in any
version of Windows. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Vic Baron wrote:
> erm.... I thought she was looking for an "alternative to WLM" as stated
> in the post. I would assume WLM = Windows Live Mail.
>
> Rose - even though they say 64 bit is not supported, it works just fine
> for me.
>

> "TMA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> or else you can use the neat Windows Live Mail which you can download
>> for free directly from the MS website
>>
>> Go to www.microsoft.com and look for Windows Live, and when you
>> download the little installer, it will prompt you which programs you
>> want. Messenger, Live Mail, Picture viewer, ...
>>
>> That's the program we all seem to be using here.
>>
>> "RoseW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> has anyone tried the Qmail3 http://q3.snak.org/en/ ?
>>> listed at the site for 64 bit software
>>> http://www.start64.com/
>>>
>>> I'm on XpPro 64bit at the moment and looking forward to the Windows7
>>> arrival
>>> but I was looking around for an alternative e-mail and newsreader
>>> (alternative to WLM). Noticed this start64.com site has a newsreader as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Just wondered if anyone had tried these.
>>> Rose
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://rwgallery.gogax.com

RoseW

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Do they have any supporting documents in English?
|
| If you want English documentation try Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm using it
| in Win 7 currently, but I have never seen any problem with it in any
| version of Windows. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
<snip>
I tried Thunderbird yesterday and after including some newgroups the
software stopped responding. It wasn't the server (cnews corel) for I could
open OE and that server was in action.
Mail placed in the Unsent (since there isn't an outbox) left a copy in that
box after the mail was sent.
Each person in my address book required editing for 'html' messages if an
image was to be inline.
The latter two items I could lie with but the unresponding didn't impress
<grin>
There is a new version 3 Thunderbird on the horizon and perhaps there will
even be 64 bit coming along.

I tried Windows Live Mail earlier in this year on Xp and it was pretty but I
didn't care for the style of duplicate folders. I guess I have to give it a
second look.
Rose

| >> "RoseW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

Bobby Johnson

Not know the details of your installation I can't comment as to why
Thunderbird would stop responding. I have been using it for newsgroups
for at least 5 or 6 years and have never encountered such a problem.

I guess when you start from scratch with Thunderbird there can be some
tweaking needed. I have been using it for so long I can't even remember
when it was. The 64-bit version is virtually identical to the 32-bit.
It can be downloaded as a Beta from:
http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Thunderbirdownload

I have been running it on Win XP & 7 x64 for a year or two.

RoseW wrote:
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Do they have any supporting documents in English?
> |
> | If you want English documentation try Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm using it
> | in Win 7 currently, but I have never seen any problem with it in any
> | version of Windows. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
> <snip>
> I tried Thunderbird yesterday and after including some newgroups the
> software stopped responding. It wasn't the server (cnews corel) for I could
> open OE and that server was in action.
> Mail placed in the Unsent (since there isn't an outbox) left a copy in that
> box after the mail was sent.
> Each person in my address book required editing for 'html' messages if an
> image was to be inline.
> The latter two items I could lie with but the unresponding didn't impress
> <grin>
> There is a new version 3 Thunderbird on the horizon and perhaps there will
> even be 64 bit coming along.
>
> I tried Windows Live Mail earlier in this year on Xp and it was pretty but I
> didn't care for the style of duplicate folders. I guess I have to give it a
> second look.
> Rose

> as

Bobby Johnson

Rose,

If you go to Newsgroups: corel.PaintShopProX you will see that I have
responded to one of your old posts using Mozilla Thunderbird. The
problem is not Thunderbird, but your settings are apparently incorrect.

RoseW wrote:
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Do they have any supporting documents in English?
> |
> | If you want English documentation try Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm using it
> | in Win 7 currently, but I have never seen any problem with it in any
> | version of Windows. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
> <snip>
> I tried Thunderbird yesterday and after including some newgroups the
> software stopped responding. It wasn't the server (cnews corel) for I could
> open OE and that server was in action.
> Mail placed in the Unsent (since there isn't an outbox) left a copy in that
> box after the mail was sent.
> Each person in my address book required editing for 'html' messages if an
> image was to be inline.
> The latter two items I could lie with but the unresponding didn't impress
> <grin>
> There is a new version 3 Thunderbird on the horizon and perhaps there will
> even be 64 bit coming along.
>
> I tried Windows Live Mail earlier in this year on Xp and it was pretty but I
> didn't care for the style of duplicate folders. I guess I have to give it a
> second look.
> Rose

> as

Bobby Johnson

Rose,

You apparently don't have your settings correct. I just subscribed two
Corel news groups in Thunderbird and they work perfectly - Thunderbird
does not become unresponsive.

I can even read posts by RoseW.

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> Not know the details of your installation I can't comment as to why
> Thunderbird would stop responding. I have been using it for newsgroups
> for at least 5 or 6 years and have never encountered such a problem.
>
> I guess when you start from scratch with Thunderbird there can be some
> tweaking needed. I have been using it for so long I can't even remember
> when it was. The 64-bit version is virtually identical to the 32-bit.
> It can be downloaded as a Beta from:
> http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Thunderbirdownload
>
> I have been running it on Win XP & 7 x64 for a year or two.
>

> RoseW wrote:
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> | Do they have any supporting documents in English?
>> |
>> | If you want English documentation try Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm
>> using it
>> | in Win 7 currently, but I have never seen any problem with it in any
>> | version of Windows. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
>> <snip>
>> I tried Thunderbird yesterday and after including some newgroups the
>> software stopped responding. It wasn't the server (cnews corel) for I
>> could open OE and that server was in action.
>> Mail placed in the Unsent (since there isn't an outbox) left a copy in
>> that box after the mail was sent.
>> Each person in my address book required editing for 'html' messages if
>> an image was to be inline.
>> The latter two items I could lie with but the unresponding didn't
>> impress <grin>
>> There is a new version 3 Thunderbird on the horizon and perhaps there
>> will even be 64 bit coming along.
>>
>> I tried Windows Live Mail earlier in this year on Xp and it was pretty
>> but I didn't care for the style of duplicate folders. I guess I have
>> to give it a second look.
>> Rose

>> Windows7
>> newsreader as

RoseW

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
| Not know the details of your installation I can't comment as to why
| Thunderbird would stop responding. I have been using it for newsgroups
| for at least 5 or 6 years and have never encountered such a problem.
|
| I guess when you start from scratch with Thunderbird there can be some
| tweaking needed. I have been using it for so long I can't even remember
| when it was. The 64-bit version is virtually identical to the 32-bit.
| It can be downloaded as a Beta from:
| http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Thunderbirdownload
|
| I have been running it on Win XP & 7 x64 for a year or two.

I saw your post in the Corel newsgroups and responded <grin>
This link that you gave above isn't the one that I downloaded.
I'll give that v3 (x86-64) a try.
Thanks for the input.
Rose

| RoseW wrote:
| > "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Do they have any supporting documents in English?
| > |
| > | If you want English documentation try Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm using
it
| > | in Win 7 currently, but I have never seen any problem with it in any
| > | version of Windows.
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
| > <snip>
| > I tried Thunderbird yesterday and after including some newgroups the
| > software stopped responding. It wasn't the server (cnews corel) for I
could
| > open OE and that server was in action.
| > Mail placed in the Unsent (since there isn't an outbox) left a copy in
that
| > box after the mail was sent.
| > Each person in my address book required editing for 'html' messages if
an
| > image was to be inline.
| > The latter two items I could lie with but the unresponding didn't
impress
| > <grin>
| > There is a new version 3 Thunderbird on the horizon and perhaps there
will
| > even be 64 bit coming along.
| >
| > I tried Windows Live Mail earlier in this year on Xp and it was pretty
but I
| > didn't care for the style of duplicate folders. I guess I have to give
it a
| > second look.
| > Rose

Windows7
| > as

roman modic

Hello!

"RoseW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> has anyone tried the Qmail3 http://q3.snak.org/en/ ?
> listed at the site for 64 bit software

Thanks for the link. It's nice to see native 64-bit email client.
BTW, here is another interesting email client (it seems that only x86): PostBox
http://webworkerdaily.com/2009/03/04...-with-postbox/

Regards, Roman

P.S. Here is x64 Thunderbird: http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Thunderbirdownload