Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: A newbie request help selecting digital camera

Re: A newbie request help selecting digital camera

sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:07:29 -0500, Kris Krieger <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I've been using a nice Minolta with Fuji ASA 100 film and a modest telephoto
>lens. I've occasionalyl gotten some very decent nature photos, but have had
>trouble getting the hnag of exposure times - and it costs more and more to
>develop "experiments".

I have to say you seem to know what you want and are headed in
the right general direction.

You have also gotten some good advice and I believe you can
weed out what applies to you and what does not.

I will make on suggestion. Many of the contributors here are
tend to think in terms of their own personal wants and needs and fail
to recognize that other people don't always share their needs. Many
of us are professionals or advanced armatures. Often we may be more
interested in how to photograph a subject that the actual results.

Often the typical Consumer Reports or other general media
evaluation or recommendations are overlooked or rejected, when they
are very good sources for the average photographer. You seem to fit
in the middle somewhere, so I suggest you review both sets of
recommendations and then make up your own mind.

John Navas

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:19:30 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> I will make on suggestion. Many of the contributors here are
>tend to think in terms of their own personal wants and needs and fail
>to recognize that other people don't always share their needs. Many
>of us are professionals or advanced armatures.

Some, but most are really just wannabes.

>Often we may be more
>interested in how to photograph a subject that the actual results.

Then, and with all due respect, you're not even an advanced amateur,
much less a professional.

"Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it
isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to
say." ~Author Unknown

> Often the typical Consumer Reports or other general media
>evaluation or recommendations are overlooked or rejected, when they
>are very good sources for the average photographer. You seem to fit
>in the middle somewhere, so I suggest you review both sets of
>recommendations and then make up your own mind.

CR is a good general consumer resource, but does a poor job of
evaluating specialized products like audio gear (especially speakers),
cameras, and the like. Much better advice is contained in reviews by
qualified reviewers, which are readily available on the Internet.
Some of the best (IMHO):
* http://www.dpreview.com
* http://www.cameralabs.com
* http://www.imaging-resource.com
* http://www.steves-digicams.com
* http://www.dcresource.com

--
Best regards,
John

ASAAR

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:18:46 -0700, John Navas wrote:

>> Often we may be more interested in how to photograph
>> a subject that the actual results.

> Then, and with all due respect, you're not even an advanced amateur,
> much less a professional.

How unfortunate that you've returned after slinking away in
disgrace many months ago. As usual, with your penchant to seek
things to blindly criticize, you didn't understand the thought
behind the words and took a too literal interpretation, a weakness
of yours. The "we" was intended to mean "many in this newsgroup".
It wasn't self referential, as you've chosen to twist the meaning.

Bob Larter

Troll Spotter wrote:

>>> Then, and with all due respect, you're not even an advanced amateur,
>>> much less a professional.

>> How unfortunate that you've returned after slinking away in
>> disgrace many months ago. As usual, with your penchant to seek
>> things to blindly criticize, you didn't understand the thought
>> behind the words and took a too literal interpretation, a weakness
>> of yours. The "we" was intended to mean "many in this newsgroup".
>> It wasn't self referential, as you've chosen to twist the meaning.

> ASSAR, don't you have another camera manual that you can download and read
> so you can pretend to have used that camera too? That'll still make zero
> cameras that you've ever actually owned and used. You virtual-life trolls
> are a hoot. Anyone who's ever taken even one photograph with an Instamatic
> can see right through your pretend-photographer act. Most children grow out
> of playing-pretend by the time they are 5 or 6. Are you 6 yet? And please
> refrain from using the word "we" when referring to your own inane beliefs
> and ideas founded on a ignorant lifetime of text-only experiences. The only
> "we" that you belong to are the other dozen or so pretend-photographer
> trolls that infest this newsgroup, spewing their nonsense too.

Still waiting to see some of your P&S shots, kook.

John Navas

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:23:06 +1000, Bob Larter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <4a347b2b$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Still waiting to see some of your P&S shots, kook.

You've long since made your point, whatever it is.
If you keep posting this over and over you'll be killfiled as a spammer.

--
Best regards,
John
Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (and several others)

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:23:06 +1000, Bob Larter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in <4a347b2b$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >Still waiting to see some of your P&S shots, kook.

> You've long since made your point, whatever it is.
> If you keep posting this over and over you'll be killfiled as a spammer.

you've got the wrong person

John Navas

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:46:59 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <140620091046595624%(E-Mail Removed)>:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Navas
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:23:06 +1000, Bob Larter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in <4a347b2b$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>> >Still waiting to see some of your P&S shots, kook.

>> You've long since made your point, whatever it is.
>> If you keep posting this over and over you'll be killfiled as a spammer.

>you've got the wrong person

I've actually got them all.

--
Best regards,
John
Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (and several others)

John Navas

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:16:11 -0500, Kris Krieger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <Xns9C2B2BE9AB87meadowmuffin@216.168.3.70>:

>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>[...]
>>
>> CR is a good general consumer resource, but does a poor job of
>> evaluating specialized products like audio gear (especially speakers),
>> cameras, and the like. Much better advice is contained in reviews by
>> qualified reviewers, which are readily available on the Internet.
>> Some of the best (IMHO):
>> * http://www.dpreview.com
>> * http://www.cameralabs.com
>> * http://www.imaging-resource.com
>> * http://www.steves-digicams.com
>> * http://www.dcresource.com

>THanks for the links!, all are now saved =

One thing that's not been emphasized enough in the advice you've gotten
is that *glass matters* (more than photosite size) in *all* cameras, and
there are crap lenses on some compact digital cameras just as there are
crap lenses for dSLR cameras.

There are also superb lenses on other compact digital cameras that
actually *outperform* dSLR lenses even at many times the price, of which
the Leica-branded lenses on Panasonic Lumix cameras and Canon L-series
lenses are good examples.