Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Oh dear, Linux drops below 1% market share again

Oh dear, Linux drops below 1% market share again

David Empson

impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "David Empson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1j1b0ks.xylo8f15h9nm9N%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Why would you just lie like that?! They restrict no browsers. And indeed
> >> they count traffic from cewll phones and other appliances, which surely
> >> is to the benefit of Linux.

> > The "Linux" figure quoted is probably only Linux running on personal
> > computers. The stats have a separate entry for Android (0.08%).
> >
> > Other devices are rarely used as general purpose web browsers, so this
> > 0.99% figure doesn't count servers or embedded devices (including
> > routers) which are running Linux, only those which are being used to
> > actively surf web sites.
> >
> > The figures also don't count Windows and Macs which are being used as
> > servers or for other special purposes.
> >
> > Assuming their methodology is accurate and is not fooled by multiple
> > computers hiding behind NAT routers, this suggests that about 1% of
> > people in the world with Internet access are actively using Linux as
> > their personal computer platform for doing tasks such as web browsing.

> 0.99% actually. But better luck next month.

I said "about". You really are impossible.

Quoting the figures to that degree of accuracy is meaningless if you are
considering the entire market of web browsing computer users, rather
than just the surveyed web sites. There will be a margin of error, and
I'm sure it is more than 1 in 10,000.

It is the longer term trends for all operating systems which are more
interesting.

Since last July:

Windows has dropped about 3%, with almost every month showing a small
fall in share.

Mac has gained about 2%, with most months last year showing a gain,
peaking in January, then dipped a little and relatively level since
then.

Linux has gained about 0.1% with a fair amount of month to month
variation.

iPhone has gained about 0.4%, with every month better than or equal to
the last.

iPod Touch has gained about 0.1%, most in a couple of spurts with level
share at other times.

Android, Java ME and Symbian have all gone from nothing to about 0.08%
since December (I suspect some of these weren't being recognised
earlier.)

Windows Mobile has been flat or dipped slightly, now at 0.05%.

It is amazing that a mobile platform (iPod + iPod Touch) is rapidly
approaching the web market share of a desktop platform (Linux). If you
add in all the mobile platforms, they beat desktop Linux.

Whatever that might mean.

--
David Empson

thingy

On Jun 13, 3:56*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 18 years on, it's still in the margin of error. <sigh>
>
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...-share.aspx?qp...

Drops depending on if you take numbers from different sources?

I went back for a year (0.92) quarter (0.9, month(0.9, and week
(0.99), so bythat page the trend is actually up....

Better luck next time troll..........

regards

Thing

thingy

On Jun 13, 6:21*pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-06-13, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:> 18 years on, it's still in the margin of error. <sigh>
>
> >http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...-share.aspx?qp...

> Ms Penguin says her cousins are on alot of desktops and they are fishing
> away just fine on routers, NAS, media players and etc.
>
> Once again, how the hell does anyone know on how many desktops GNU/Linux is
> on? I mean is it a question in the censeus?
>
> Finally does it matter what OS one has, for it is a matter of personal
> choice.

Exactly....the more interesting statistic is server space....and even
that's only of passing interest.......

or maybe webservers...........

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Its really a non-event....

but its Ok impossible can be happy knowing as a desktop jockey his job
is safe....

regards

Thing

impossible

"David Empson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1j1bawg.1ms4l5di53dhmN%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "David Empson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1j1b0ks.xylo8f15h9nm9N%(E-Mail Removed). ..

>> > The "Linux" figure quoted is probably only Linux running on personal
>> > computers. The stats have a separate entry for Android (0.08%).
>> >
>> > Other devices are rarely used as general purpose web browsers, so this
>> > 0.99% figure doesn't count servers or embedded devices (including
>> > routers) which are running Linux, only those which are being used to
>> > actively surf web sites.
>> >
>> > The figures also don't count Windows and Macs which are being used as
>> > servers or for other special purposes.
>> >
>> > Assuming their methodology is accurate and is not fooled by multiple
>> > computers hiding behind NAT routers, this suggests that about 1% of
>> > people in the world with Internet access are actively using Linux as
>> > their personal computer platform for doing tasks such as web browsing.

>> 0.99% actually. But better luck next month.

> I said "about". You really are impossible.
>
> Quoting the figures to that degree of accuracy is meaningless if you are
> considering the entire market of web browsing computer users, rather
> than just the surveyed web sites. There will be a margin of error, and
> I'm sure it is more than 1 in 10,000.

Exactly. So when all the world's freetards celebrated Linux breaking the 1%
barrier, they were just being silly. Right?

> It is the longer term trends for all operating systems which are more
> interesting.
>
> Since last July:
>
> Windows has dropped about 3%, with almost every month showing a small
> fall in share.
>

> Mac has gained about 2%, with most months last year showing a gain,
> peaking in January, then dipped a little and relatively level since
> then.
>
> Linux has gained about 0.1% with a fair amount of month to month
> variation.

Yes -- Windows is down, Mac is up, Linux is flat. This is consistent with
other numbers reported by Net Applications.

> iPhone has gained about 0.4%, with every month better than or equal to
> the last.
>
> iPod Touch has gained about 0.1%, most in a couple of spurts with level
> share at other times.
>
> Android, Java ME and Symbian have all gone from nothing to about 0.08%
> since December (I suspect some of these weren't being recognised
> earlier.)
>
> Windows Mobile has been flat or dipped slightly, now at 0.05%.
>
> It is amazing that a mobile platform (iPod + iPod Touch) is rapidly
> approaching the web market share of a desktop platform (Linux). If you
> add in all the mobile platforms, they beat desktop Linux.
>
> Whatever that might mean.

Nothing surprising about that.

impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Empson wrote:
>> Assuming their methodology is accurate and is not fooled by multiple
>> computers hiding behind NAT routers, this suggests that about 1% of
>> people in the world with Internet access are actively using Linux as
>> their personal computer platform for doing tasks such as web browsing.

> No, it means 1% of their sample was identified as using Linux.
> Different samples might give different results, such as
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
> which shows 4% Linux and rising.

Ignorance about sampling and statistics seems to be one of your defining
attributes.

w3schools does not sample in the way that Market Share or Net Applications
does -- it simply reports hits on its own site as recorded in its log files.
So 4% of w3school's customers use Linux -- Wow!

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jun 13, 6:21 pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2009-06-13, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:> 18 years on,
>> it's still in the margin of error. <sigh>
>>
>> >http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...-share.aspx?qp...

>> Ms Penguin says her cousins are on alot of desktops and they are fishing
>> away just fine on routers, NAS, media players and etc.
>>
>> Once again, how the hell does anyone know on how many desktops GNU/Linux
>> is
>> on? I mean is it a question in the censeus?
>>
>> Finally does it matter what OS one has, for it is a matter of personal
>> choice.

> Exactly....the more interesting statistic is server space....and even
> that's only of passing interest.......

Ah, yes...the old thing-thingy-thing2 shuffle. More disappointing news for
freedtards on the desktop frontr, so....please, please...can't we just talk
about servers.

> or maybe webservers...........
>
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Yes, Apache once had a huge lead on Microsoft at major sites -- something
like 70% to 20% as recently as 2006. But in terms of active sites, that lead
is now just 46% to 28% now. What happened?

> Its really a non-event....

Really?!

> but its Ok impossible can be happy knowing as a desktop jockey his job
> is safe....

He, he. Looking up from your little admin cubicle, I can see how the success
of others could make you bitter.

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jun 13, 3:56 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 18 years on, it's still in the margin of error. <sigh>
>>
>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...-share.aspx?qp...

> Drops depending on if you take numbers from different sources?

> I went back for a year (0.92) quarter (0.9, month(0.9, and week
> (0.99), so bythat page the trend is actually up....

It's amzing to me just how much inspiration you can take from little blips
like that.

97.56% of users run Windows or OsX, and here you are debating whether the
Linux share is 0.0092 or 0.0099. Heck, let's say the estimate is widely off
and the true market share of Linux is 0.019, which is about what Nety
Applications says. 18 years on, it's still in the margin of error.

OsX is cutting into the Windows lead on the desktop. Linux is simply
irrelevant.

Will Spencer

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 03:56:35 GMT, impossible wrote:

> 18 years on, it's still in the margin of error. <sigh>
>
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8

What went wrong with Linux?

It is arguably the biggest flop of the decade.
An OS that promised so much and delivered so little.

-ws

Bruce Sinclair

In article <1j1b0ks.xylo8f15h9nm9N%(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:h109ib$j9p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> >
>> > We only collect data from site visitors who use browsers allowed on our
>> > network.

>> Why would you just lie like that?! They restrict no browsers. And indeed
>> they count traffic from cewll phones and other appliances, which surely is
>> to the benefit of Linux.

>The "Linux" figure quoted is probably only Linux running on personal
>computers. The stats have a separate entry for Android (0.08%).

... and those browsers that aren't set to lie (so that some of the "broken"
web sites will work) of course. That used to be very common.

"Market share" data is usually collected using "sales" of course ... a real
laugh to anyone that uses *nixes of any sort
As you suggest, I've yet to see any market share data that is convincing in
any way.

impossible

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:4a359401$0$1093$(E-Mail Removed)4all.se ...
> In article <1j1b0ks.xylo8f15h9nm9N%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>>impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:h109ib$j9p$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Why would you just lie like that?! They restrict no browsers. And indeed
>>> they count traffic from cewll phones and other appliances, which surely
>>> is
>>> to the benefit of Linux.

>>The "Linux" figure quoted is probably only Linux running on personal
>>computers. The stats have a separate entry for Android (0.08%).

> .. and those browsers that aren't set to lie (so that some of the "broken"
> web sites will work) of course. That used to be very common.
>
> "Market share" data is usually collected using "sales" of course ... a
> real
> laugh to anyone that uses *nixes of any sort
> As you suggest, I've yet to see any market share data that is convincing
> in
> any way.

Ignorance of business and statistics is a terrific combination. I bet you're
a big hit in yourt nix user group.