Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Profiler for g++ programs

Re: Profiler for g++ programs

user923005

On Jun 12, 6:11*am, Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good (GUI is better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
may not want to use a commercial compiler.

Keith Thompson

user923005 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Jun 12, 6:11*am, Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good
>> (GUI is better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

> Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
> More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

<OT>ddd is a GUI for gdb (and other debuggers), not for gprof.</OT>

> IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
> may not want to use a commercial compiler.

Nokia

cr88192

news:h0v39d$6pl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> user923005 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Jun 12, 6:11 am, Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good (GUI is
>>> better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

>> Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
>> More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

> ddd is a gui for gdb amongst others. When did it include graphical
> support for gprof? Interesting. But ddd is not in itself a profiler.
>

>> IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
>> may not want to use a commercial compiler.

> Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

I think the idea is that Intel's comiler does a little better at optimizing
than gcc...

partly, I think this may be due to the backend, where Intel can focus their
efforts on a limited number of archs (x86 and x86-64), whereas gcc tries to
more generically target a much larger number of archs. as such, it is likely
gcc makes use of fewer special-case optimizations than a compiler more
specialized for a particular arch, ...

similarly, it is likely the case that Intel has at their disposal a good
deal of information related to the deeper innards of the processor, whereas
gcc's developers are likely faced with much more general info (all which is
part of the documented instruction set, ...).

or, at least, these are just a few possibilities...

however:
gcc is free, commonly used, and comes with Linux, which probably more than
justifies its slightly worse code optimization...

> --
> "Avoid hyperbole at all costs, its the most destructive argument on
> the planet" - Mark McIntyre in comp.lang.c

user923005

On Jun 12, 7:35*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> user923005 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On Jun 12, 6:11*am, Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am new to application programming for Linux. Is there any good (GUI is better) profiler for Linux, except gprof?

> > Did you try ddd, which is a Gui for gprof?
> >http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/
> > More debuggers are listed at the end of this page.

> ddd is a gui for gdb amongst others. When did it include graphical
> support for gprof? Interesting. But ddd is not in itself a profiler.

It doesn't. Accidental crosspost to the wrong place too. FCOL on me.

> > IMO, Eclipse + CDT + Intel compiler is hard to beat on Linux, but you
> > may not want to use a commercial compiler.

> Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

It has a nice, complete tool set and it makes fast binaries. It's
free for non-commercial use.

We tend to use gcc a lot here, since it works on so many platforms and
so you don't end up wasting as much time porting.

Ioannis Vranos

user923005 wrote:

>> Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

> It has a nice, complete tool set and it makes fast binaries. It's
> free for non-commercial use.

Intel C++ Professional compiler is free for non-commercial use?

--
Ioannis A. Vranos

C95 / C++03 Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Nate Eldredge

Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> user923005 wrote:
>>
>>> Why use Intel as opposed to gcc?

>> It has a nice, complete tool set and it makes fast binaries. It's
>> free for non-commercial use.

> Intel C++ Professional compiler is free for non-commercial use?

Only the Linux port.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...e-development/