Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > web.config authentication problem

web.config authentication problem

Mr. x

I have in the web.config file something like this :

<configuration>
<system.web>
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="main.aspx" protection="All"
timeout="1" path="/" requireSSL="false" slidingExpiration="true">
</forms>
<passport redirectUrl="internal" />
</authentication>
</system.web>
</configuration>

When I try to open main.aspx I get the error :
Configuration Error

in IIS.

The same error is on my computer, and also on hosting computer.

Why ?

Thanks

Craig Deelsnyder

Mr. x wrote:

> I have in the web.config file something like this :
>
> <configuration>
> <system.web>
> <authentication mode="Forms">
> <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="main.aspx" protection="All"
> timeout="1" path="/" requireSSL="false" slidingExpiration="true">
> </forms>
> <passport redirectUrl="internal" />
> </authentication>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>
>
> When I try to open main.aspx I get the error :
> Configuration Error
> required to service this request. Please review the specific error details
> below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
> allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error
> can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application
> in IIS.
>
> The same error is on my computer, and also on hosting computer.
>
> Why ?
>
> Thanks

Do you have a virtual directory setup for the directory this .config is
in? You can't have the authentication section you've shown defined in a
subdirectory that isn't also setup as a web app (virtual directory in IIS).

--
Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

Mr. x

Craig Deelsnyder Wrote :

> Do you have a virtual directory setup for the directory this .config is
> in? You can't have the authentication section you've shown defined in a
> subdirectory that isn't also setup as a web app (virtual directory in

IIS).

> --

Well, I have web.config on the main directory,
and also on the sub-directory.

The kind of problem I am talking about, is for sub-directory : when I put
web.config on the sub directory.
How can I set the sub directory ?
Can you lead me to some help about it, please ?

Thanks