Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > socks to ssl proxy for windows?

Reply
Thread Tools

socks to ssl proxy for windows?

 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2009
Having to use the net at a few places with rather bizzare port
restrictions and many things being available on non standard ports that
I would like to get to is a pain.

Is there anything for windows that will ssl thru (which is allowed) and
then present a socks proxy locally for firefox etc to use and use the
ssl port fowarding to get thru to the destination server?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stephen Worthington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2009
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:06:10 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Having to use the net at a few places with rather bizzare port
>restrictions and many things being available on non standard ports that
>I would like to get to is a pain.
>
>Is there anything for windows that will ssl thru (which is allowed) and
>then present a socks proxy locally for firefox etc to use and use the
>ssl port fowarding to get thru to the destination server?


If you have somewhere you can set up an OpenVPN server, you can just
set that up to accept port 22 tcp connections and then connect to it
from wherever you need to and route all your traffic through the VPN.
Then you get normal ports as per the system running the OpenVPN
server. OpenVPN uses SSL encryption, so if the routers giving you
problems are level 7 capable, I think they should still only see SSL
connections on port 22 (which is normally open for SSH) and it should
work. That setup worked for me from a company with somewhat paranoid
routers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2009
Stephen Worthington wrote:

> If you have somewhere you can set up an OpenVPN server, you can just
> set that up to accept port 22 tcp connections and then connect to it
> from wherever you need to and route all your traffic through the VPN.
> Then you get normal ports as per the system running the OpenVPN
> server. OpenVPN uses SSL encryption, so if the routers giving you
> problems are level 7 capable, I think they should still only see SSL
> connections on port 22 (which is normally open for SSH) and it should
> work. That setup worked for me from a company with somewhat paranoid
> routers.


While the nntp server I use was down I found bitvise tunneler which does
just what I need.

will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to get
to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can browse
without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which was my main
desire at the moment.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2009
Richard wrote:
> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to get
> to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can browse
> without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which was my main
> desire at the moment.


Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
own auctions without being caught by trademe.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2009
EMB wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to
>> get to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can
>> browse without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which
>> was my main desire at the moment.

>
> Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
> own auctions without being caught by trademe.


No, its so I can operate on a friends account from the webserver so we
don't get suspended again since him and my self sell the same stuff and
they dont like 2 logins from the same place with the same product range
and we have had this problem in the past.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2009
EMB wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to
>> get to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can
>> browse without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which
>> was my main desire at the moment.

>
> Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
> own auctions without being caught by trademe.


And I am able to get online at the problem hotspot too
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2009
Richard wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>> will see how it goes at tech next, but from home its allowing me to
>>> get to trademe with the same IP that my web server uses so I can
>>> browse without anything to link the 2 local browsers together which
>>> was my main desire at the moment.

>>
>> Ahhh - your real objective was to be able to place shill bids on your
>> own auctions without being caught by trademe.

>
> And I am able to get online at the problem hotspot too


Well done
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot connect socket through socks proxy Barney Java 1 07-25-2006 09:40 AM
Help to set up tomcat 4.1.27 behind socks proxy to access database outside the proxy vidy5300 Java 0 06-07-2004 02:23 PM
What is a socks 4/5 proxy server martin Computer Support 6 02-15-2004 11:59 PM
Thread local socks proxy library for java? Chorg Java 1 12-13-2003 11:05 PM
Socks proxy library Kevin Java 0 12-13-2003 08:22 PM



Advertisments