Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > avg/agent/firefox=crashes galore

avg/agent/firefox=crashes galore

some idiot

Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do a search
on google and it may load the results or it just might crash in the process. If
the results do get loaded then it might crash when I click on a link. Just today
alone FF crashed just about every time.

You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon doesn't
animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely slow.

Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a reboot.

Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things that show the
site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?

With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously get shut
down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.

Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software that works the
way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing how much crap they can
add in without bothering to fix what is broken?

Buffalo

some idiot wrote:
> Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do
> a search on google and it may load the results or it just might crash
> in the process. If the results do get loaded then it might crash when
> I click on a link. Just today alone FF crashed just about every time.
>
> You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon
> doesn't animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely
> slow.
>
> Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a
> reboot.
>
> Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things
> that show the site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?
>
> With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously
> get shut down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.
>
> Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software
> that works the way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing
> how much crap they can add in without bothering to fix what is broken?

While you're waiting for more help, dl AVG again, save it to somewhere you
can find it, uninstall AVG, reboot and install it again.
Only takes a few minutes and you won't lose your bookmarks or preferences.
Buffalo
PS:There will be other suggestions coming from those more in the know, but I
would sure try what I suggested now.

richard

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:11:20 -0600, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>some idiot wrote:
>> Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do
>> a search on google and it may load the results or it just might crash
>> in the process. If the results do get loaded then it might crash when
>> I click on a link. Just today alone FF crashed just about every time.
>>
>> You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon
>> doesn't animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely
>> slow.
>>
>> Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a
>> reboot.
>>
>> Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things
>> that show the site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?
>>
>> With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously
>> get shut down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.
>>
>> Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software
>> that works the way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing
>> how much crap they can add in without bothering to fix what is broken?

>While you're waiting for more help, dl AVG again, save it to somewhere you
>can find it, uninstall AVG, reboot and install it again.
>Only takes a few minutes and you won't lose your bookmarks or preferences.
>Buffalo
>PS:There will be other suggestions coming from those more in the know, but I
>would sure try what I suggested now.

That's what I was thinking. Do a new install rather than an upgrade.

alan

"some idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do a
> search
> on google and it may load the results or it just might crash in the
> process. If
> the results do get loaded then it might crash when I click on a link. Just
> today
> alone FF crashed just about every time.
>
> You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon doesn't
> animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely slow.
>
> Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a reboot.

Just for the hell of it, you may want to try re-installing AVG . . .

> Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things that
> show the
> site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?

If you're talking about those little green stars with a white check mark
showing up next to google search results, that's the Link Scanner. To turn
that off, click the AVG icon on your toolbar to open up AVG, double click
Link Scanner, UN-check "Enable AVG Search shield". If you don't want to be
bothered with the exclamation mark showing up on that Link Scanner icon
afterwards, then right-click the LinkScanner icon, and check "ignore
component state" . . .

--
alan

alan

"richard" wrote
> That's what I was thinking. Do a new install rather than an upgrade.

Rather than an upgrade to what?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

some idiot wrote:

> Firefox 2 continously crashes.

Curious. Why are you still using Firefox 2? Version 3.0.10 is the
current version.

--
-bts

Buffalo

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> some idiot wrote:
>
>> Firefox 2 continously crashes.

> Curious. Why are you still using Firefox 2? Version 3.0.10 is the
> current version.

I missed that totally.
Buffalo
PS: Good catch.

chuckcar

some idiot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Since I upgraded to AVG 8.5 Firefox 2 continously crashes. I go to do a
> search on google and it may load the results or it just might crash in
> the process. If the results do get loaded then it might crash when I
> click on a link. Just today alone FF crashed just about every time.
>
> You know in the tab bar where it says "Loading"? The littlte icon
> doesn't animate like it's supposed to. If it does, it's extremely slow.
>
> Anyone have a solution on how to cure that? This is even after a reboot.
>
> Then I really totally dislike AVG adding in all those icon things that
> show the site is safe. How do you turn that feature off?
>
> With forte agent, since I installed their APN service, I continously get
> shut down for no reason. I can live with that. No big deal there.
>
> Have programmers today lost their caring about providing software that
> works the way it's supposed to or do they care more about seeing how
> much crap they can add in without bothering to fix what is broken?

Try going back to the previous version. Just because a new version is out
doesn't mean it fixes any errors or works any better. More often the exact
opposite. That applies to *anything*.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:17:31 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Try going back to the previous version. Just because a new version is out
>doesn't mean it fixes any errors or works any better. More often the exact
>opposite. That applies to *anything*.

Yes. Always a good recommendation to run out of date antivirus
applications.

dynamic checkbox list challenge galore =?Utf-8?B?c2VndWU=?= ASP .Net 2 08-05-2005 02:16 PM
Kill Bill observation (spoilers galore for both one and two) Dyuob Poltice DVD Video 7 04-27-2004 05:48 PM
Server errors galore, local runs fine George Addison ASP .Net 1 11-29-2003 12:00 AM
Re: Links Galore! MCSE World MCSE 0 09-03-2003 08:31 PM
Links Galore! DaPunisher Microsoft Certification 0 09-03-2003 03:38 AM

Advertisments