Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > graph edge generators

graph edge generators

William Clifford

I've become interested in basic graphs and networks and I'm wondering
about what algorithms are there for generating basic regular graphs
like the simplex graph or dodecahedron graph, etc (I'm sure there are
many). I'm particularly keen on understanding the very basic functions
for determining edges in the graphs. If one didn't want the complete
graph but just a function generates the edges connected to a given
node.

I've been surfing around for this sort of info, but I'm having trouble
finding stuff at my level. If anyone knows of any resources or
tutorials or that sort of thing, I'd like to hear about those too.

Thanks!

--
William Clifford

Rafael

William Clifford <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I've become interested in basic graphs and networks and I'm wondering
> about what algorithms are there for generating basic regular graphs
> like the simplex graph or dodecahedron graph, etc (I'm sure there are
> many). I'm particularly keen on understanding the very basic functions
> for determining edges in the graphs. If one didn't want the complete
> graph but just a function generates the edges connected to a given
> node.

probably the SAGE system (www.sagemath.org) would be of interest to you.

Steven D'Aprano

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:58:54 -0700, William Clifford wrote:

> I've become interested in basic graphs and networks and I'm wondering
> about what algorithms are there for generating basic regular graphs like
> the simplex graph or dodecahedron graph, etc (I'm sure there are many).
> I'm particularly keen on understanding the very basic functions for
> determining edges in the graphs. If one didn't want the complete graph
> but just a function generates the edges connected to a given node.
>
> I've been surfing around for this sort of info, but I'm having trouble
> finding stuff at my level. If anyone knows of any resources or tutorials
> or that sort of thing, I'd like to hear about those too.

I'm not sure what your level is, but you might find these helpful:

http://www.python.org/doc/essays/graphs/

http://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2009...ted-graph.html

--
Steven

CTO

On Jun 9, 11:58*pm, William Clifford <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I've become interested in basic graphs and networks and I'm wondering
> about what algorithms are there for generating basic regular graphs
> like the simplex graph or dodecahedron graph, etc (I'm sure there are
> many). I'm particularly keen on understanding the very basic functions
> for determining edges in the graphs. If one didn't want the complete
> graph but just a function generates the edges connected to a given
> node.
>
> I've been surfing around for this sort of info, but I'm having trouble
> finding stuff at my level. If anyone knows of any resources or
> tutorials or that sort of thing, I'd like to hear about those too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> William Clifford

Depending on how much of a basis you have in CS, you
may want to take a look at
http://www.amazon.com/Combinatorial-.../dp/084933988X
which I found to be an excellent book that covers a lot of the
ground you're talking about. Also, check out graphine
(graphine.org)- I think its a pretty easy-to-use graph package
for python, although as the primary author I'm pretty biased.

Geremy Condra