Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question on punctuation.

Question on punctuation.

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del

I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
but, it is cracked.

In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?

I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.
--
All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

Centre Parting

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del wrote:
> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
> but, it is cracked.
>
> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
> but?

before

> I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del <CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«@CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«.net> wrote:
> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
> but, it is cracked.
>
> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
> but?

Before the word "but."

As independent clauses go "it is cracked' doesn't have much to say for
itself, but the rule is that if the conjunction (in this case, "but")
introduces an independent clause, a comma precedes the conjunction.

> I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

Why would a guy who understands the correct use of the semicolon even ask
this question, Altie?

How's things?

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

"BTW: Lionel was no "kookologist". If you knew what you were talking
about, you'd know that."

"Lionel laurer will be a real kookologist the day after the Sun
explodes."

richard

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0500, CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del
<CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«@CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«.net> wrote:

>I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
>but, it is cracked.
>
>In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
>
>I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

To really solve the problem:

....old pipe, however, it is cracked.

doS

I am going to smoke some crack in a one hundred year old pipe

>but, it is cracked

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0500, CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del
> <CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«@CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«.net> wrote:
>
>>I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
>>but, it is cracked.
>>
>>In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
>>
>>I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

> To really solve the problem:
>
> ...old pipe, however, it is cracked.

alan

"richard" wrote
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0500, CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del
> <CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«@CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«.net> wrote:
>
>>I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
>>but, it is cracked.
>>
>>In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
>>
>>I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

> To really solve the problem:
>
> ...old pipe, however, it is cracked.

Actually, "richard" has not solved anything at all. Rather, he has created
a new "problem".
If you're going to join two independent clauses with "however", then you
must use a semicolon before it and a comma after it:
"I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe;
however, it is cracked."

VanguardLH

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del wrote:

> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
> but, it is cracked.
>
> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
>
> I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

Remove the comma. It's not needed.

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del <CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«@CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«.net> wrote:
>>> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old
>>> pipe but, it is cracked.
>>>
>>> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
>>> but?

>> Before the word "but."
>>

> Correct!

I still want to know why Altie is doing grammar trolls.

> Both of my parents were English teachers (among other things).

You're a lucky boy.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

"BTW: Lionel was no "kookologist". If you knew what you were talking
about, you'd know that."

"Lionel laurer will be a real kookologist the day after the Sun
explodes."

Hu Flung Dung

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del, ye ill-begotten harlot, certainly, there is no truth in
thee, ye squeaked:

> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
> but, it is cracked.
>
> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
> but?

An Australian would put it like this:

"I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
but."

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:04:22 -0500, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del <CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«@CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ«.net> wrote:
>> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
>> but, it is cracked.
>>
>> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
>> but?

>Before the word "but."
>
>As independent clauses go "it is cracked' doesn't have much to say for
>itself, but the rule is that if the conjunction (in this case, "but")
>introduces an independent clause, a comma precedes the conjunction.
>
>> I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

>Why would a guy who understands the correct use of the semicolon even ask
>this question, Altie?

Because I don't know any other way to contact you, sweetie.

>How's things?

Good Rhonda, pretty good. Not anything fantastic mind you but, it is
okay.