Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ISP ending Usenet service: which free/cheap ones are best?

ISP ending Usenet service: which free/cheap ones are best?

AKT

My ISP (ATT) just sent this:

> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

John Navas

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:38:24 -0500, AKT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<090620090938243222%(E-Mail Removed)>:

>My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>
>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

>Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

Tera News <http://www.teranews.com/>
One-time setup fee of $4, no monthly charge:

--
Best regards,
John

ray

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:38:24 -0500, AKT wrote:

> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>
>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

I've been quite happy with news.individual.net - it costs about one euro
per month.

John McWilliams

AKT wrote:
> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>
>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

Yes.

Keith Nuttle

AKT wrote:
> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>
>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

I received the same thing to day. In response I have removed all yahoo
sites form my computer, including the ATT/yahoo home page.

While this may sound petty, if everyone who was a newsgroup user stopped
using yahoo, which is possible, it would reduce yahoo hits and
consequently the amount they can charge for advertisements.

I just set up with aioe.org, I don't know how it will workout.

John Navas

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:37:30 -0400, Keith Nuttle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <h0lvk6$3ve$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>AKT wrote:
>> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>>
>>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

>> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

>I received the same thing to day. In response I have removed all yahoo
>sites form my computer, including the ATT/yahoo home page.
>
>While this may sound petty,

To me it sounds silly.

>if everyone who was a newsgroup user stopped
>using yahoo, which is possible, it would reduce yahoo hits and
>consequently the amount they can charge for advertisements.

Probably not enough to notice -- only a tiny minority still use Usenet.
Regardless, what's the point? Spite?

Usenet is dying. Get over it.

--
Best regards,
John
Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (and several others)

whosbest54

In article <090620090938243222%(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>
>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

>Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

Go to alt.free.newsservers and read a bit. There are several choices.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

Nobody

"AKT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:090620090938243222%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>
>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

news.motzarella.org

news.aioe.org

both are free, ok most of the time

William Black

Nobody wrote:

> "AKT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:090620090938243222%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>>
>>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

>> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

> news.motzarella.org

Seconded.

--
William Black

Jim Menning

"Nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h0m9b1$ek6$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "AKT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:090620090938243222%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
>>
>>> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
>>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.

>> Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

> news.motzarella.org
>
> news.aioe.org
>
> both are free, ok most of the time

I've tried both of them and also free.teranews.com and textnews.new.cambrium.nl .

But the one I found to be consistently the best was news.albasani.net . They seem to
have lots less downtime and greater retention than most. I also kept the teranews
just for the binaries groups, which albasani doesn't carry.