Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Using a dialup modem over a MagicJack link

Re: Using a dialup modem over a MagicJack link

Bucky Breeder

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatulated this with
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> First off, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a
> dialup connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection. What I'd
> like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup modem for
> internet access. Not to use on a regular basis, but just to test if the
> modem is communicating.
>
> I've tried it of course but the connection never goes through, even with
> a known good dialup modem. MagicJack's tech support seems to think it's
> not possible which is why I'm picking the brains of this erstwhile froup.

The reason you can't do it: MagicSmack is VoIP... the "P" stands for
protocol. Dial-up modem connection uses analog. So, when you plug your
[laptop] in, using its dialup modem, you're attempting to convert analog
to digital via the connection itself.

"Modem" means modulator-demodulator. Which is nothing like beans and
potaters, but the principles can be used for demonstration purposes...
on the other hand, try this:

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm

http://www.99main.com/support/how56kworks.shtml

Basically, your 56k modem is for telephone networks and your VoIP
access if for Internet networks. The plug may fit, but the protocols
don't mesh.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, that's NOT a snake in my pocket; I'm
NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

"Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

Bucky Breeder

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatulated this with news:He6dnbNw4sDG-

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatulated this with
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>>
>>> First off, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a
>>> dialup connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection. What I'd
>>> like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup modem for
>>> internet access. Not to use on a regular basis, but just to test if the
>>> modem is communicating.
>>>
>>> I've tried it of course but the connection never goes through, even

with
>>> a known good dialup modem. MagicJack's tech support seems to think it's
>>> not possible which is why I'm picking the brains of this erstwhile

froup.

>> The reason you can't do it: MagicSmack is VoIP... the "P" stands for
>> protocol. Dial-up modem connection uses analog. So, when you plug your
>> [laptop] in, using its dialup modem, you're attempting to convert analog
>> to digital via the connection itself.
>>
>> "Modem" means modulator-demodulator. Which is nothing like beans and
>> potaters, but the principles can be used for demonstration purposes...
>> on the other hand, try this:
>>
>> http://communication.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm
>>
>> http://www.99main.com/support/how56kworks.shtml
>>
>> Basically, your 56k modem is for telephone networks and your VoIP
>> access if for Internet networks. The plug may fit, but the protocols
>> don't mesh.
>>

> Thank you, this is pretty much what I've been thinking too. I was hoping
> that someone may have an easy workaround. This won't make or break my
> whole day, but would be nice as the location of the MagicJack has no
> dedicated land line.

Nice that you identified the issue... All the ads on TV and product
availability at Walmart, BestBuy and RadioShack, etc., I've been thinking
about getting one just to have an extra line for cheep...

Best regards.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, that's NOT a snake in my pocket; I'm
NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

"Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

doS

I was going to say that....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatulated this with
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>>
>>> First off, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a
>>> dialup connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection. What I'd
>>> like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup modem for
>>> internet access. Not to use on a regular basis, but just to test if the
>>> modem is communicating.
>>>
>>> I've tried it of course but the connection never goes through, even with
>>> a known good dialup modem. MagicJack's tech support seems to think it's
>>> not possible which is why I'm picking the brains of this erstwhile
>>> froup.

>> The reason you can't do it: MagicSmack is VoIP... the "P" stands for
>> protocol. Dial-up modem connection uses analog. So, when you plug your
>> [laptop] in, using its dialup modem, you're attempting to convert analog
>> to digital via the connection itself.
>>
>> "Modem" means modulator-demodulator. Which is nothing like beans and
>> potaters, but the principles can be used for demonstration purposes...
>> on the other hand, try this:
>>
>> http://communication.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm
>>
>> http://www.99main.com/support/how56kworks.shtml
>>
>> Basically, your 56k modem is for telephone networks and your VoIP
>> access if for Internet networks. The plug may fit, but the protocols
>> don't mesh.
>>

> Thank you, this is pretty much what I've been thinking too. I was hoping
> that someone may have an easy workaround. This won't make or break my
> whole day, but would be nice as the location of the MagicJack has no
> dedicated land line.

M.L.

>>> First off, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a
>>> dialup connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection. What I'd
>>> like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup modem for
>>> internet access. Not to use on a regular basis, but just to test if the
>>> modem is communicating.
>>>
>>> I've tried it of course but the connection never goes through, even with
>>> a known good dialup modem. MagicJack's tech support seems to think it's
>>> not possible which is why I'm picking the brains of this erstwhile froup.

>> The reason you can't do it: MagicSmack is VoIP... the "P" stands for
>> protocol. Dial-up modem connection uses analog. So, when you plug your
>> [laptop] in, using its dialup modem, you're attempting to convert analog
>> to digital via the connection itself.
>>
>> "Modem" means modulator-demodulator. Which is nothing like beans and
>> potaters, but the principles can be used for demonstration purposes...
>> on the other hand, try this:
>>
>> http://communication.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm
>>
>> http://www.99main.com/support/how56kworks.shtml
>>
>> Basically, your 56k modem is for telephone networks and your VoIP
>> access if for Internet networks.

I don't think that's the reason they don't work together. The VOIP
craze started on dialup modems years ago. magicJack doesn't really
care where your Internet connection comes from but it recommends at
least 3 mbps bandwidth.

>> The plug may fit, but the protocols don't mesh.

magicJack doesn't have a plug that fits into a modem jack.

It's also possible that the dialup ISP blocks VOIP port access.

Stacey Chuffo

"M.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't think that's the reason they don't work together. The VOIP
> craze started on dialup modems years ago. magicJack doesn't really
> care where your Internet connection comes from but it recommends at
> least 3 mbps bandwidth.

You mean like Net2Fone prior to the dotcom crash? Yeah, we all remember just
how well * that * worked.
Free unlimited long distance and the only thing it was really good for was
making anonymous prank calls.

Bucky Breeder

"Stacey Chuffo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
deflatulated this with news:h0rl4d$u2i$(E-Mail Removed):

> "M.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatualte with @4ax.com...
>>
>> I don't think that's the reason they don't work together. The VOIP
>> craze started on dialup modems years ago. magicJack doesn't really
>> care where your Internet connection comes from but it recommends at
>> least 3 mbps bandwidth.

> You mean like Net2Fone prior to the dotcom crash? Yeah, we all remember
> just how well * that * worked.
> Free unlimited long distance and the only thing it was really good for
> was making anonymous prank calls.

The OP was about plugging a laptop's 56kb/s modem into the
MagicJack phone-plug to get the laptop out on a dial-up service
using the MagicJack > Computer > broadband connection...
NOT about jumpstarting an alcoholic's brain pacemaker using
the fondly remembered 28kb/s FAX analog protocol. Right?

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, that's NOT a snake in my pocket; I'm
NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

"Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

ccsi ccsi is offline
Junior Member

I have an old multi-user operating system that works well for our operation and I really like to find way to use MJ with modems... I have tested successfully for FAX machine use... Now I really need to find way to use for modem to modem communications.

Can anyone help?