Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registering a Domain Through Melbourne IT for a Microsoft Office Live (free) Website

Registering a Domain Through Melbourne IT for a Microsoft Office Live (free) Website

Martin

Hello,

I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
obtaining a Office Live website.

I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as to
acquire a site.

According to Microsoft, domain registration is free for the first year and
then $14.95 per year thereafter.

Domain purchase through Melbourne IT would result in my POP and SMTP servers
being hosted.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the above
registrar?

Further, if I eventually decide to transfer my domain to another registrar,
will Melbourne make it next to impossible or will it release my domain after
the various stages involved?

All feedback appreciated!

Thanks.

Martin

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Martin wrote:

> I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of
> my obtaining a Office Live website. ...
>
> All feedback appreciated!

You may be better served to ask this question in alt.www.webmasters

...though I personally would never register anything with Microsoft. Use
a good generic registrar. I use godaddy.com for mine.

--
-bts

Leythos

In article <70sXl.75034$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am says...

> Hello,
>
> I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
> obtaining a Office Live website.
>
> I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as to
> acquire a site.
>
> According to Microsoft, domain registration is free for the first year and
> then $14.95 per year thereafter.
>
> Domain purchase through Melbourne IT would result in my POP and SMTP servers
> being hosted.
>
> I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the above
> registrar?
>
> Further, if I eventually decide to transfer my domain to another registrar,
> will Melbourne make it next to impossible or will it release my domain after
> the various stages involved?
>
> All feedback appreciated!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martin

Use GODADDY.COM and avoid those places that resell service through
Melbourne. If I remember correctly, Yahoo Small Business also uses
Melbourne....

Trust yourself.
(E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)

VanguardLH

Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
> obtaining a Office Live website.
>
> I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as to
> acquire a site.
>
> According to Microsoft, domain registration is free for the first year and
> then $14.95 per year thereafter.
>
> Domain purchase through Melbourne IT would result in my POP and SMTP servers
> being hosted.
>
> I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the above
> registrar?
>
> Further, if I eventually decide to transfer my domain to another registrar,
> will Melbourne make it next to impossible or will it release my domain after
> the various stages involved?
>
> All feedback appreciated!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martin

At one time, AOL was offering free domain registrations
(http://domains.aol.com/). Instead of picking one of their pre-defined
domain names to include in your new e-mail account through AOL (who
offered POP/SMTP service), you could pick your own domain. The domain
was registered through Melbourne. AOL never revealed how long was that
domain registration. It was one year but AOL never divulged that
information so they made it look to their users like they got a
permanent domain name. AOL couldn't afford to keep paying for the
renewals. Eventually AOL couldn't even afford to pay for the 1st
registration and discontinued the offer (so now all that
http://www.tunome.com/ list are the free pre-defined domains). When it
came time to renew, I abandoned the AOL account to let it die. I didn't
find it a reliable e-mail service, anyway. The free domain
registrations, when they offered them, did NOT include any web hosting
services.

What are you going to do after the 1-year lure expires to continue your
"business" presence? Melbourne has their nameserver redirect to
Live.com for your e-mail account. When the freebie 1-year registration
runs out, you'll have to renew at Melbourne to retain that setup or you
transfer your domain name (at a fee) to another but cheaper registrar
and hope they are allowed to redirect your domain to the same e-mail and
webhosting provider.

If you're looking into a free solution, go for it but figure in 1 year
that you'll have to set the whole thing up again through a different
registrar. After all, you are looking for the cheapest solution. At
renewal time, that probably won't include Melbourne as an option.
They're hoping you become engrained with Melbourne that you'll feel
compelled to continue with them.

You get 30 days of support. After that, you pay.

Martin

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

What attracts me to Melbourne/Live's offer is that hosting the site is free
throughout the life of the domain registration, or so I believe to be the
case.

Using Melbourne/Live's free website, regardless of registrar, allows one to
create as many pages as one wants, whereas Go Daddy charges $4.99 per month
for a 5-page site.

With Melbourne/Live, registration is free the first year and approximately
twice what Go Daddy charges per year thereafter.

So, one saves approximately $60 annually through Melbourne/Live, which is
slightly offset by the increased cost of 2nd year-onward registration.

One factor, of course, is that one can call Go Daddy 24x7, while the
turn-around time for Melbourne/Live is 4 hours by e-mail.

Melbourne/Live has forums where customers post problems and a company rep
addresses them.

As far as I know, Go Daddy has no such forums.

Insofar as my web needs are concerned, I need a simple site, explaining what
my services are. It will not be e-commerce enabled (which is how
Melbourne/Live starts to make additional profit by add-ons.)

If you have any constructive criticisms of the above, please feel free to
post them as I like to make well-informed decisions.

Regards,

Martin

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h0m58j$b6k$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
: Martin wrote:
:
: > Hello,
: >
: > I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
: > obtaining a Office Live website.
: >
: > I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as
: > acquire a site.
: >

Martin wrote:

> whereas Go Daddy charges $4.99 per month for a 5-page site.

If you skip Starbucks one morning a month, you've got enough money to
pay for professional hosting.

This is your business you're talking about, right? Your livelihood? It
should be a deductible expense, so you may not even have to skip that
one cafe latte.

--
-bts

Martin

Hello,

My major gripe about Go Daddy is that the company upgrades its WebSite
Tonight far too often.

It's great for those customers who continue to want added functionality and
more bells and whistles.

I need a relatively ordinary site.

Two or three years ago, when I needed a particular shade of colour, I could
click the appropriate shade on a palette.

Now, there's a sliding bar which provides probably thousands of shades of
various colours, which is overkill to me. If I want to recreate the colour
from page to page, I need to remember the numerical values involved. Not
good

That's the main attraction of Live's offer; its sites are simple with a
limited number of options. There's no learning curve involved (for me),
unlike Go Daddy where it seems that, every two or three months, a new
version of WebSite Tonight is published.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Regarding Starbucks, I visited an outlet only once. After paying $3.99 for a
cup of milk, I resolved that there would never be a second visit.

Martin

news:h0mdqg$lar$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
: Martin wrote:
:
: > whereas Go Daddy charges $4.99 per month for a 5-page site.
:
: If you skip Starbucks one morning a month, you've got enough money to
: pay for professional hosting.
:
: This is your business you're talking about, right? Your livelihood? It
: should be a deductible expense, so you may not even have to skip that
: one cafe latte.
:
: --
: -bts
: -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Martin wrote:

Please do not top-post.

> My major gripe about Go Daddy is that the company upgrades its WebSite
> Tonight far too often. It's great for those customers who continue to
> want added functionality and more bells and whistles.

I did not say to *host* with Godaddy. In fact, the usual recommendation
is to never buy a domain name and hosting services from the same place.
Look for hosting at places like: http://axishost.com/

> I need a relatively ordinary site.

So then write it. Write your own; don't use someone's "wizards." Get
yourself a tool such as http://kompozer.net/

Please trim to relevant material when you reply.

--
-bts

Martin

news:h0mft6$7a5$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
: Martin wrote:
:
(SNIP)

Hello,

At the risk of inadvertently top posting again, is this post *not* a top
post because of its position, or does top posting have another meaning?

Martin

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Martin wrote:

> At the risk of inadvertently top posting again, is this post *not* a
> top post because of its position, or does top posting have another
> meaning?

No, you mostly got it. Thanks. It is "posting on top" of the quoted
material. Conversations are hard to follow if one has to keep scrolling
up and down to see what you are replying to.

--
-bts