Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Measuring VLAN performance

Re: Measuring VLAN performance

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

On Jun 8, 11:17*pm, "Gerard Gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of converting a flat network (approx 2000 users) to a
> more layered approach using VLANS.
> We have 2x Cisco 6509 switches with Sup720's configured as a HSRP core,
> linked with a l3 etherchannel, and an l2 etherchannel.
>
> Each closet will comprise 3 vlans - one for voice, one for data and VLAN1
> for management.
>
> I would like to know how the addition of vlans is affecting the overall
> network - i.e as areas come off vlan1 for user traffic and get moved to
> their respective vlan how the overall network performance is hopefully
> improving, and I'm looking for any information that would help me measure
> this, or indeed any aspect of the network which I should be measuring. The
> idea is to be able to show how the vlan introduction is helping the site.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Ger

Use a tool. such as solar winds to measure traffic however we have had
no end of trouble trying to get throughput stats on trunk ports for a
particular vlan from cisco switches (using various tools). better to
poll the physical interface as another poster said. I also agree that
VLAN 1 should never be used especially not for management. all i need
to do is find an unconfigured switchport somewhere on your network and
im automatically in the management vlan.

flamer.

bod43

On 9 June, 04:00, "flamer (E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jun 8, 11:17*pm, "Gerard Gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,

> > I'm in the process of converting a flat network (approx 2000 users) to a
> > more layered approach using VLANS.
> > We have 2x Cisco 6509 switches with Sup720's configured as a HSRP core,
> > linked with a l3 etherchannel, and an l2 etherchannel.

> > Each closet will comprise 3 vlans - one for voice, one for data and VLAN1
> > for management.

> > I would like to know how the addition of vlans is affecting the overall
> > network - i.e as areas come off vlan1 for user traffic and get moved to
> > their respective vlan how the overall network performance is hopefully
> > improving, and I'm looking for any information that would help me measure
> > this, or indeed any aspect of the network which I should be measuring. The
> > idea is to be able to show how the vlan introduction is helping the site.

As already mentioned there may or there may not be any performance
change.

To measure network throughput you can consider iperf or if you want
to get more serious, iometer (intel) - all are free. The latter allows
a central
management station to control multiple traffic streams between
multiple
hosts. It does though take a bit of figuring out. There are also
commercial
tools e.g. Smartbits; but costs are not low.

Performance test results are not always easy to interpret.

The best thing you can do for ethernet performance is to make sure
that
you have no duplex missmatches. Set everything to auto until it is
proven
that some particular device is not happy. The only things that I have
seen
within the last decade that are unhappy with Auto are UK delivered
WAN
ethernet services and Checkpoint firewalls.

Both are by design - and I don't agree with the Checkpoint case for
sure.
I guess it is arguable in the WAN ethernet case that access
difficulties
or remoteness might make it acceptable.

Check for port errors and assume duplex missmatch if there are more
than a few until proved otherwise.

Re: Measuring VLAN performance Stephen Cisco 0 06-11-2009 09:08 PM
Re: Measuring VLAN performance Trendkill Cisco 0 06-08-2009 01:37 PM
Questions about benchmark and measuring performance adamomitcheney@kiwis.co.uk Perl Misc 2 09-09-2005 07:15 PM
VLAN or Not to VLAN Paul Cisco 0 10-27-2003 06:16 PM
Measuring performance of Net::FTP Carlo Filippini Perl 1 09-09-2003 05:41 PM

Advertisments