Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: ATI distributor ?

Re: ATI distributor ?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> Anybody know who this is ? I need a replacement fan for a Radeon
> 9600 that is not a common mounting size, it seems.

Is it just ATI or is it branded (Asus, XFX, Gainward...)? It can be
difficult to get replacement fans for graphics cards, often it's easier to
get complete replacement heatsink/fan assemblies.

Can you put a pic up somewhere and link to it?
--
Shaun.

Nighthawk

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:48:44 +1200, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
>>> Anybody know who this is ? I need a replacement fan for a Radeon
>>> 9600 that is not a common mounting size, it seems.

>> Is it just ATI or is it branded (Asus, XFX, Gainward...)? It can be
>> difficult to get replacement fans for graphics cards, often it's
>> easier to get complete replacement heatsink/fan assemblies.
>>
>> Can you put a pic up somewhere and link to it?

>Um, it's an ATI (AMD) Radeon 9600 which is a pretty major board. I assume
>they don't OEM it from some minor manufacturer ...
>
>Here's a pic :
>http://ati.amd.com/designpartners/me...00proboard.asp
>
>The fan mounting points are the tricky bit, otherwise any old fan would
>do.....
>
>geoff

This will do the job:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?idx=141
http://www.notebookcity.co.nz/produc...eo-card-cooler

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
>>> Anybody know who this is ? I need a replacement fan for a Radeon
>>> 9600 that is not a common mounting size, it seems.

>> Is it just ATI or is it branded (Asus, XFX, Gainward...)? It can be
>> difficult to get replacement fans for graphics cards, often it's
>> easier to get complete replacement heatsink/fan assemblies.
>>
>> Can you put a pic up somewhere and link to it?

> Um, it's an ATI (AMD) Radeon 9600 which is a pretty major board. I
> assume they don't OEM it from some minor manufacturer ...

Ummm, I own several ATI graphics cards and they're all branded, e.g. I have
a Gainward ATI 9000 and a Sapphire ATI HD3650. However ATI, unlike nVidia
(TTBOMK), do make and sell direct to the public (or rather, usually, OEMs).
That's why I asked. Sorry to be so obtuse, I should have just realised you
had an ATI factory card.

> Here's a pic :
> http://ati.amd.com/designpartners/me...00proboard.asp
>
> The fan mounting points are the tricky bit, otherwise any old fan
> would do.....

How does the fan mount? It's not immediately obvious to me from the pic.
Plastic push-pins? What diameter is the fan? Distance between mounting pins?

It's a pretty basic GPU cooler. If you can't find a fan for it I'd suggest
getting the whole heat sink and fan assembly. The two through-pins are a
standard mounting system for GPUs. If you can't find one locally I'm sure
I've seen one for only a couple dollars at www.dealextreme.com but the
site's not playing ball for me right now. I order from them quite often and
it generally takes 7 - 14 days for the item to arrive from Hong Kong.
Considering the saving over some locally sourced stuff it's worth the wait.
In the meantime you can point a case/CPU fan at the heatsink. (Hot-glue is a
wonderful thing, as are cable-ties.)

I have a couple recessed fans like that only they're off Leadtek GeForce 4
ti4200's and I think that they may be a little large. Also they have
three-wire fans (but you don't need to connect the speed-sensor wire). They
seem to have a blade diameter of ~45mm and are screwed into the ali HS. 40mm
square screw holes, ~65.5mm diagonal. I can post one to you if it fits and
you want to do a home repair. (The cards died due to capacitor failure and
frankly the price of new caps Vs the value of the cards...)

TTFN,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> How does the fan mount? It's not immediately obvious to me from the

>> pic. Plastic push-pins? What diameter is the fan? Distance between
>> mounting pins?

> Two screw mounts, not exactly at the corners - which is the point of
> difference to most generic fans.

Are you talking about fan mounts or heatsink mounts?

> The Zalman one may work given elongated slots for mount variations.
>
> I guess I could try DSE where I got it some years ago, but what would
> you think my chances are of a sensible reply .... ?

Umm, nil?
--
Shaun.

EMB

geoff wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> How does the fan mount? It's not immediately obvious to me from the

>> pic. Plastic push-pins? What diameter is the fan? Distance between
>> mounting pins?

> Two screw mounts, not exactly at the corners - which is the point of
> difference to most generic fans.
>
> The Zalman one may work given elongated slots for mount variations.

http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1010
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1011 - link to manufacturer
site says it will fit.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>> geoff wrote:
>>>
>>> Two screw mounts, not exactly at the corners - which is the point of
>>> difference to most generic fans.
>>>
>>> The Zalman one may work given elongated slots for mount variations.

>> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1010
>> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1011 - link to manufacturer
>> site says it will fit.

> Thanks, if the Zalman doesn't fit, this one certainly will.

Now DealExtreme is reachable again here are some examples from the many that
they stock:

That last one is very inexpensive and looks like it would do the job well.
--
Shaun.