Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > asp to aspx - vb to vb.Net

asp to aspx - vb to vb.Net

Jim Bunton

I have written asp web pages using vbscript and I am used to using include
files.
E.G.
<!-- #include file = "adovbs.inc" -->
<!-- #include file = "MyInclude.asp" -->

BUT - I guess it's time to move on!
So I'm 'having a go' with Ms Visual Web Developer (Express)
vb.net etc
AND my grasp of 'Object Orientated' is a bit shakey]

?? start ??
1. do I need something like adovbs in this environment

2. 'MyInclude' is generally a set of Function and procedures often used.
eg
Function OpenSuppliers (Cn, CursorToUse, LockToUse)
Dim sql, Rs
set Rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
sql="SELECT * FROM Suppliers "
Rs.open Sql,Cn, CursorToUse,LockToUse,adCmdText
Set OpenSuppliers = Rs
End Function

How do I implement such functions in in an include file this new environment
?? end ??
--
Jim Bunton

Alexey Smirnov

On Jun 8, 2:05*pm, "Jim Bunton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have written asp web pages using vbscript and I am used to using include
> files.
> E.G.
> <!-- #include file = "adovbs.inc" -->
> <!-- #include file = "MyInclude.asp" -->
>
> BUT - I guess it's time to move on!
> So I'm 'having a go' with Ms Visual Web Developer (Express)
> vb.net etc
> *AND my grasp of 'Object Orientated' is a bit shakey]
>
> ?? *start ??
> 1. do I need something like adovbs in this environment
>
> 2. 'MyInclude' is generally a set of *Function and procedures often used.
> * * eg
> Function OpenSuppliers (Cn, CursorToUse, LockToUse)
> * *Dim sql, Rs
> * *set Rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> * *sql="SELECT * FROM Suppliers "
> * *Rs.open Sql,Cn, CursorToUse,LockToUse,adCmdText
> * *Set OpenSuppliers = Rs
> End Function
>
> How do I implement such functions in in an include file this new environment
> ?? *end ??
> --
> Jim Bunton

1) no
2) using classes --> read more http://www.startvbdotnet.com/oop/class.aspx

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> How do I implement such functions in in an include file this new environment

Forget about include files, and forget about ado/vbs.

From now on you'll use class files to store your functions
( or you can also write inline code in your aspx pages) and ADO.NET for your database access.

Give these two tutorials a good read :

http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/

http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/default.asp

Start by following the code for simple pages before you tackle database access.

There's several data access examples here :
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStar...a/default.aspx

Here's a data acess example for an Access database :
http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/aspnet_dbconnection.asp

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
¿ Estas probando VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0 ?
Regístrate (gratis) en los Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en español
http://asp.net.do/foros/forums/
"Jim Bunton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4a2cfea7$0$25513$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have written asp web pages using vbscript and I am used to using include
> files.
> E.G.
> <!-- #include file = "adovbs.inc" -->
> <!-- #include file = "MyInclude.asp" -->
>
> BUT - I guess it's time to move on!
> So I'm 'having a go' with Ms Visual Web Developer (Express)
> vb.net etc
> AND my grasp of 'Object Orientated' is a bit shakey]
>
> ?? start ??
> 1. do I need something like adovbs in this environment
>
> 2. 'MyInclude' is generally a set of Function and procedures often used.
> eg
> Function OpenSuppliers (Cn, CursorToUse, LockToUse)
> Dim sql, Rs
> set Rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> sql="SELECT * FROM Suppliers "
> Rs.open Sql,Cn, CursorToUse,LockToUse,adCmdText
> Set OpenSuppliers = Rs
> End Function
>

> How do I implement such functions in in an include file this new environment
> ?? end ??
> --
> Jim Bunton

Jim Bunton

Thanks to Alexey, Juan & Mark for thier responses to my posting

Looks like this will kaeep me going for an hour or two!

BUT any other relevant suggestions welcome.

Jim Bunton

"Jim Bunton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a2cfea7$0$25513$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have written asp web pages using vbscript and I am used to using include
> files.
> E.G.
> <!-- #include file = "adovbs.inc" -->
> <!-- #include file = "MyInclude.asp" -->
>
> BUT - I guess it's time to move on!
> So I'm 'having a go' with Ms Visual Web Developer (Express)
> vb.net etc
> AND my grasp of 'Object Orientated' is a bit shakey]
>
> ?? start ??
> 1. do I need something like adovbs in this environment
>
> 2. 'MyInclude' is generally a set of Function and procedures often used.
> eg
> Function OpenSuppliers (Cn, CursorToUse, LockToUse)
> Dim sql, Rs
> set Rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> sql="SELECT * FROM Suppliers "
> Rs.open Sql,Cn, CursorToUse,LockToUse,adCmdText
> Set OpenSuppliers = Rs
> End Function
>

> How do I implement such functions in in an include file this new
> environment
> ?? end ??
> --
> Jim Bunton

Alexey Smirnov

On Jun 8, 4:00*pm, "Jim Bunton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks to Alexey, Juan & Mark for thier responses to my posting
>
> Looks like this will kaeep me going for an hour or two!
>
> BUT any other relevant suggestions welcome.
>
> Jim Bunton
>
> "Jim Bunton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:4a2cfea7$0$25513$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I have written asp web pages using vbscript and I am used to using include
> > files.
> > E.G.
> > <!-- #include file = "adovbs.inc" -->
> > <!-- #include file = "MyInclude.asp" -->

> > BUT - I guess it's time to move on!
> > So I'm 'having a go' with Ms Visual Web Developer (Express)
> > vb.net etc
> > AND my grasp of 'Object Orientated' is a bit shakey]

> > ?? *start ??
> > 1. do I need something like adovbs in this environment

> > 2. 'MyInclude' is generally a set of *Function and procedures often used.
> > * *eg
> > Function OpenSuppliers (Cn, CursorToUse, LockToUse)
> > * Dim sql, Rs
> > * set Rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> > * sql="SELECT * FROM Suppliers "
> > * Rs.open Sql,Cn, CursorToUse,LockToUse,adCmdText
> > * Set OpenSuppliers = Rs
> > End Function

> > How do I implement such functions in in an include file this new
> > environment
> > ?? *end ??
> > --
> > Jim Bunton

I would also recommend you to visit www.asp.net, where you will find
videos and sample projects to get started with programming on ASP.NET

http://www.asp.net/get-started/
http://www.asp.net/community/projects/

JM

> I would advise you to get a copy of this:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-AS...4464113&sr=8-3
> and work your way through it from beginning to end.

'tis mucho stinky.

Better off going to asp.net and watching some screencasts.