Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Worth buying modem router?

Worth buying modem router?

=?Utf-8?B?QmFkQW5nbGVy?=

Hi,

I currently have 3 PCs, all running XP, with X-Micro WLAN 11g adaptors
fitted. However althougn network setup great when all on same table, share
files, internet etc no probs, as soon as I move them to their room of use,
start to have connection problems. I bought aerial extensions to improve
signal strength but not much help. I am currently using ad-hoc setup. House
is only standard size, I am considering NetGear DG834GT, would this have
greatly improved range and hopefully improve connections.

Advice appreciated.

Dave.

Jack

Hi

I usually shy away from the combos. The Router is not as good as stand
alone, and the whole arrangement limit your Network flexibility.

You should get a good stand alone Wireless Cable/DSL Router and configure a
regular infrastructure Wireless LAN.

Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

If distance is still problem you would need more hardware to extend the
coverage of the Network.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"BadAngler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I currently have 3 PCs, all running XP, with X-Micro WLAN 11g adaptors
> fitted. However althougn network setup great when all on same table,

share
> files, internet etc no probs, as soon as I move them to their room of use,
> start to have connection problems. I bought aerial extensions to improve
> signal strength but not much help. I am currently using ad-hoc setup.

House
> is only standard size, I am considering NetGear DG834GT, would this have
> greatly improved range and hopefully improve connections.
>
> Advice appreciated.
>
> Dave.

=?Utf-8?B?QmFkQW5nbGVy?=

Thanks for reply Jack, will look into seperate components. However is the
power output from a router greater than pci cards and therefore hopefully
have better range and will enable me to setup infrastructure network as
opposed to current ad-hoc?

(For some reason I have been unable to connect to the ezlan.net website for
last couple of days, just get 'the page cannot be displayed' error.)

Your time and advice appreciated,

Dave.