Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recent Developments on HDD

Recent Developments on HDD

Bucky Breeder

Now when my sister's friend downloads her sets they could be anywhere but
on the root. Running XP Pro SP3 with all updates and malware scans good.
Dual processor Intel with all the GHz the law will allow. Bandwidth is as
fast as is available except when it goes slow for the holidays or beer in
the keyboard at parties and such. One time there was a condom stuck in the
power supply outlet vent, but this was an isolated event. The freewares
are not helping much because now they make to reboot on install and then
don't show up anywhere but on the desktop little picture. Would like to
get them back to secondary partition or flash drives so when they open the
pen drive on another computer it stores the eMails on the right one but
bounces all the sexually-oriented and pharmaceutical spam. Any ideas?
Please leave detailed instruction. No trolls need respond because to some
this could be a very serious problem. TIA.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, that's NOT a snake in my pocket; I'm
NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

"Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

Whiskers

On 2009-06-06, Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out> wrote:
> Now when my sister's friend downloads her sets

Her what?

> they could be anywhere but
> on the root.

Good; "anywhere but on the root" is the right place. But that lack of
precision is the problem that needs to be fixed - anything downloaded
should go to a suitable sub-directory "somewhere" - one the user knows
about and can find and has read and write privileges for. (But not execute
privileges, of course) (Oh, sorry - it's Windows. Just be paranoid about
what is downloaded and hope to goodness it isn't self-executing malware).

> Running XP Pro SP3

<shrug>

> with all updates and malware scans good.

Hmm. OK, if you say so.

[...]

> The freewares

What freewares?

> are not helping much because now they make to reboot on install

That's the Microsoft way.

> and then
> don't show up anywhere

You mean the user hasn't bothered to either tell the computer where to put
the downloaded files, or hasn't taken a note of where the program doing
the download is going to put them. Not easy to fix for past events, but
the solution for future practice should be bleedin' obvious.

> but on the desktop little picture.

Ah, so there are "icons" on the "Desktop". So what are the "properties"
of those icons? In particular, what is the "property" that states where
the file actually is that the "icon" is associated with? Write that
information down in a note-book (you know, the sort made of paper that you
write on with a pen or pencil).

(A right-click on an icon should produce a menu from which "Properties" can
be selected).

> Would like to
> get them back to secondary partition or flash drives

There is almost certain to be at least one "File Manager" program on the
computer. ("Explorer" is the usual default on Windows systems). Use it
to put files where they are wanted - and delete all the ones that are not
wanted.

> so when they open the
> pen drive on another computer it stores the eMails on the right one but
> bounces all the sexually-oriented and pharmaceutical spam.

Now you've lost me. Is your sister's friend running an email program from
a USB device? Are you asking a new question about spam filters?

> Any ideas?
> Please leave detailed instruction. No trolls need respond because to some
> this could be a very serious problem. TIA.

Without physical access to the computer and the user concerned, detailed
instructions are not a good idea - they'd be wrong, or incomprehensible, or
both. Tell the person to go back to basic computer discipline, and to make
notes of such things as "where my browser puts downloads" and "where [name
of program] puts downloads" and "where [name of program] expects to find
the files it will be used with" and "what the program that does [name of
task] is called" and "where [current download] is being saved and what the
file is called". That sort of thing. The "settings" or "preferences" of
each program, or of the operating system, are where such information can
usually be found (and usually, set to what the user prefers). (Windows
users in particular should also note where their downloads come from - so
that sources that deliver malware or junk can be avoided in future).

--
-- Whiskers