Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux printer access part 2...

Linux printer access part 2...

Richard

Have another machine to do it on which is more promsing

Has a new install of debian lenny on it and its working sweet as, and
since its not a firewall as well it will get firefox on it etc once I
get stuff working.

Problem is that it creates /dev/usb/lp0 when the printer is connected,
and removes it when disconencted.

When it creates it, the permissions don't allow for everyone to write to
it, which I need to be able to cat stuff to it from apache in php.

How does one set the permissions that things are assigned when they are
created?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h0eb2t$f9f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Problem is that it creates /dev/usb/lp0 when the printer is connected,
> and removes it when disconencted.
>
> When it creates it, the permissions don't allow for everyone to write to
> it, which I need to be able to cat stuff to it from apache in php.
>
> How does one set the permissions that things are assigned when they are
> created?

This is controlled by udev. On my Debian Unstable system, in the file
/lib/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules, there is a default rule for USB
printers:

KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", GROUP="lp"

This means that the device file is to be created as belonging to the group
"lp". You can override this with custom rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. Or you
can just make sure that the relevant users are put into the lp group.

More details are in the udev(7) man page.