Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.net and traditional ASP

ASP.net and traditional ASP

Robert Storrs

I am looking for a few good articles or feedback on the
issues and approaches of adding ASP.NET to an existing ASP
system.

I know the simple problems - session and application
variables are not shared, but how about session timeout,
error handling, the complex issues we are sure to run
into. And any appraoches to overcoming these problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Hermit Dave

Well to get over simple datatype in asp session and accessing them, you can
use a custom page that transfers the data from session onto a form and then
post that form to the aspx page.
That way you will have values for all those session variables across in
asp.net...
error handing... i dont know what the problem is... asp.net has excellent
error handling at hand....
not very sure bout session

anyho if you do run into problems there are lot of good brains in this
forum... and you would sure get a good brainstorming session...

Regards,

Hermit Dave

"Robert Storrs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04a501c3c030$9cfebfd0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for a few good articles or feedback on the
> issues and approaches of adding ASP.NET to an existing ASP
> system.
>
> I know the simple problems - session and application
> variables are not shared, but how about session timeout,
> error handling, the complex issues we are sure to run
> into. And any appraoches to overcoming these problems.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Bob

Scott M.

The only major isssue is that which you already mentioned.

ASP.NET has it's own model for handling exceptions.

"Robert Storrs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04a501c3c030$9cfebfd0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for a few good articles or feedback on the
> issues and approaches of adding ASP.NET to an existing ASP
> system.
>
> I know the simple problems - session and application
> variables are not shared, but how about session timeout,
> error handling, the complex issues we are sure to run
> into. And any appraoches to overcoming these problems.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Bob

Robert Storrs

If I am in ASP and go to the ASP.NET for greater than my
normal ASP Session timeout, will the session timeout and I
will not be able to return to the ASP pages?

Hermit Dave

I would say keep using a mix of pages... not too many aspx requests in a
row... that could be done by careful planning...
that way one in a while the user always hits an asp page....

Regards,

Hermit Dave

PS: Havent tried asp and asp.net mix so never had this issue but i am sure a
proper design can keep both alive...

"Robert Storrs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:038c01c3c03b$181b4670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I am in ASP and go to the ASP.NET for greater than my
> normal ASP Session timeout, will the session timeout and I
> will not be able to return to the ASP pages?

Kevin Spencer

The following (and related) article may be helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...migrissues.asp

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer