Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MCSE training

MCSE training

Ray Greene

We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE. She's looking at
training options and there are a number of online training providers
around.

Has anyone tried online training, and can you recommend a provider?

--
Ray Greene

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:

> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE.

I read a survey somewhere which showed an inverse correlation between
vendor-centric qualifications and salaries.

simonnz10@gmail.com

On Jun 3, 8:26*pm, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE. She's looking at
> training options and there are a number of online training providers
> around.
>
> Has anyone tried online training, and can you recommend a provider?
>
> --
> Ray Greene

A couple of the team at work are using the Seek e-learning portal
which they seem to quite like. If she's got a good basic knowledge,
then setting up a mini-lab using some VM's on a single machine or a
few physical PC's, switches/routers etc. and going through some of the
MCSE training guides could also do her just as good.

Personally, I use the latter technique.

Ray Greene

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:57:57 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Jun 3, 8:26*pm, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE. She's looking at
>> training options and there are a number of online training providers
>> around.
>>
>> Has anyone tried online training, and can you recommend a provider?
>>
>> --
>> Ray Greene

>A couple of the team at work are using the Seek e-learning portal
>which they seem to quite like. If she's got a good basic knowledge,
>then setting up a mini-lab using some VM's on a single machine or a
>few physical PC's, switches/routers etc. and going through some of the
>MCSE training guides could also do her just as good.
>
>Personally, I use the latter technique.

Yeah, the mini-lab is a must-do. Where are the training guides
available from?
I'll let her know about Seek, it looks like the sort of thing she's
after.

--
Ray Greene

Ray Greene

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:50:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE.

>I read a survey somewhere which showed an inverse correlation between
>vendor-centric qualifications and salaries.

How much less do you think should we pay her when she finishes her
Cisco certification?

--
Ray Greene

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:50:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>>
>>> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE.

>>I read a survey somewhere which showed an inverse correlation between
>>vendor-centric qualifications and salaries.

> How much less do you think should we pay her when she finishes her
> Cisco certification?

Passive-aggressiveness will get you nowhere.

Jack Spratt

news:h05hl5$k6k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:50:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>>I read a survey somewhere which showed an inverse correlation between
>>>vendor-centric qualifications and salaries.

>> How much less do you think should we pay her when she finishes her
>> Cisco certification?

> Passive-aggressiveness will get you nowhere.

Reading surveys will get you nowhere. Luckily you have 24 hours a day to
burn.

Enkidu

Ray Greene wrote:

> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE. She's looking at
> training options and there are a number of online training providers
> around.
>
> Has anyone tried online training, and can you recommend a provider?

I recommend classroom training over online training, though the online
stuff can help after that. Unless she is only interested in the MCSE as
a piece of paper, experience is the best teacher. It is possible to take
the MCSE almost without touching a computer, because of the limited
options for questions, but I'd question that value of that sort of MCSE
to an employer. I like the Auldhouse courses.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE.

> I read a survey somewhere which showed an inverse correlation between
> vendor-centric qualifications and salaries.

You "read somewhere"??

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

geoff wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a young 'un at work who wants to do MCSE.

>> I read a survey somewhere which showed an inverse correlation between
>> vendor-centric qualifications and salaries.

> Probably a Linux-enthusiast survey then.
>
> I always find real courses far more satisfactory than 'online'.
>
> With MCSE be prepared for an ongoing committment to cost of keeping it
> 'current'.

Tell me about it! I got a few NT courses, then couldn't get the time to
do the rest. Then 2000 came along and I did the first few, then couldn't
find the time to do the rest.

Cheers,

Cliff