Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows network disappears from XP machines

Windows network disappears from XP machines

Ripper

I have 2 desktops, 1 Vista Biz, 1 XP Pro and 3 laptops, 2 Vista Home
Premium, 1 XP Pro. All have latest service packs and updates. All connected
(laptops wirelessly) all working and seeing each other (for months) - until
today at about 3 pm. All of sudden the two XP machines can't find MSHOME.

"MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this
network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have
access permissions. The network path was not found."

The XP laptop has 2 mapped drives to directories on the XP desktop and 1 to
the Vista Biz machine. One of the mapped drives continued to work even after
I got the error message, but now it doesn't work. All machines have
ZoneAlarm Free; I shut it down on the two XP machines with no change.
Rebooted everything several times. I can log into the router from the
suspect machines and all machines can ping each other, but that pesky MSHOME
just won't show on the 2 XP machines. I'm scanning both with AVG presently
but it's just finding cookies. I'm not sure what to check for because I know
I have the connection and all the machines can access the internet too. I
reran the network setup wizard again on the suspect machines with no change.
Please help!

Rip

Jack-MVP

Hi
Keep running the Network wizard when there is malfunction does not make
things no better.
Maybe this can Help, Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer
allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Note: Every thing need to be checked, thinking that because it worked
before, or and because One did not do any thing means that there is No
reason to check all the settings is a misleading approach.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 desktops, 1 Vista Biz, 1 XP Pro and 3 laptops, 2 Vista Home
>Premium, 1 XP Pro. All have latest service packs and updates. All connected
>(laptops wirelessly) all working and seeing each other (for months) - until
>today at about 3 pm. All of sudden the two XP machines can't find MSHOME.
>
> "MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this
> network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have
> access permissions. The network path was not found."
>
> The XP laptop has 2 mapped drives to directories on the XP desktop and 1
> to the Vista Biz machine. One of the mapped drives continued to work even
> after I got the error message, but now it doesn't work. All machines have
> ZoneAlarm Free; I shut it down on the two XP machines with no change.
> Rebooted everything several times. I can log into the router from the
> suspect machines and all machines can ping each other, but that pesky
> MSHOME just won't show on the 2 XP machines. I'm scanning both with AVG
> presently but it's just finding cookies. I'm not sure what to check for
> because I know I have the connection and all the machines can access the
> internet too. I reran the network setup wizard again on the suspect
> machines with no change. Please help!
>
> Rip

Phillip Windell

NetworkPlaces does not "prove" nor does it "disprove" networkability.

You can connect to any machine from a command prompt or the "Run" line by
doing
\\homer
or
\\bart
or
\\lisa
(the workgroup name does *not* even have to match)

NetworkPlaces is just a "display" of the contents of the workgroup's Master
Browse List. Like Highlander,...there can be only one,...and the machine
that possesses it must be running. The machine that gets used for this is
"decided" among the machines by having a "Browser Election" and the winner
is the one that holds the Browse List. If you keep turing your machines on
and off this will always be in turmoil. If "winner" machine is not running
or gets blocked by running a firewall on it then all the machines can get
into an "argument" over who is the real Master Browser and therefore "argue"
about which browse List is the *real* browse list. This obviously causes
inconsistant "views" in NetworkPlaces from different machines.

Microsoft have been trying for years to eliminate the whole use of
NetworkPlaces due to problems like this,...but unfortunately they have not
been able to *ween* people off of it. I have been working where I am for 10
years (since NT40 domains) and my system of about 100 machines has never in
ten years consistantly showed all the machine in NetworkPlaces, and on top
of that has not consistantly showed the same machine everytime. We just
simply don't use it.

On each of your machines place a Shortcut for the other two machine into the
Desktop Folder within the All Users Profile and they will show no matter who
logges into the machine. To create a shortcut open Windows Explorer and
type \\machinename in the Address Bar. When it loads drag and drop the icon
in the Address Bar to a conveinent place. Once you have collected Shortcuts
for each machine then copy them where the need to be.

Here is some information on the whole Network Browsing mechanism:

191611 - Symptoms of Multihomed Browsers
(Even a simple PC with a VPN connection to somewhere else is considered
MulitHomed)

188305 - Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service

Phillip Windell

news:(E-Mail Removed)...