Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Hardware - Newbie

Wireless Hardware - Newbie

inconnu3939@gmail.com

I have three computers and a wireless multi port DSL modem. Two of
the computers, an XP laptop and a Vista desktop come equipped with
wireless cards. The third, an XP desktop is older and has no
installed wireless card. There are no PCMIA slots on my this computer.

I know I can buy and install a wireless card in the desktop, but that
involves surgery - opening and dinking around inside the box - and I'm
all thumbs.

So, is there available any easier to install hardware for such a
desktop - say something using a USB port?

Phillip Windell

Yes, they make ones that work by just plugging into USB,...they look about
the same as a thumb drive.

--
Phillip Windell

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have three computers and a wireless multi port DSL modem. Two of
> the computers, an XP laptop and a Vista desktop come equipped with
> wireless cards. The third, an XP desktop is older and has no
> installed wireless card. There are no PCMIA slots on my this computer.
>
> I know I can buy and install a wireless card in the desktop, but that
> involves surgery - opening and dinking around inside the box - and I'm
> all thumbs.
>
> So, is there available any easier to install hardware for such a
> desktop - say something using a USB port?

Philip Herlihy

> I have three computers and a wireless multi port DSL modem. Two of
> the computers, an XP laptop and a Vista desktop come equipped with
> wireless cards. The third, an XP desktop is older and has no
> installed wireless card. There are no PCMIA slots on my this computer.
>
> I know I can buy and install a wireless card in the desktop, but that
> involves surgery - opening and dinking around inside the box - and I'm
> all thumbs.
>
> So, is there available any easier to install hardware for such a
> desktop - say something using a USB port?

There are simply loads of these available. There's a lot to be said for
using kit from the same manufacturer as your wireless modem. Having
said that, I rather like the ones which come with a stand and extension
cable (so you can wiggle it for best reception) or with a wiggleable
antenna. I bought this one recently:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll
?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=3003128677 91

(join URL so as to have no spaces, etc in the line).
You can even connect an extension antenna to this one, instead of the
one supplied.

Phil, London

Jack-MVP

Hi
If you decide to conquer your fear of hardware this is a very good
inexpensive choice.
Edimax - PCI
Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
Otherwise get this,
The external antenna makes it a better choice than most of these "gizmos".
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)