Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Motherboard

Motherboard

Kue2

Looking for a good motherboard to run Vista 64 & Win 7 64 on.
Not the bleeding edge, have to stay within budget.

Recommendations.

Thanks

David B.

Asus P5E works well, but without knowing the CPU and such that you want to
use...

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for a good motherboard to run Vista 64 & Win 7 64 on. Not the
> bleeding edge, have to stay within budget.
>
> Recommendations.
>
> Thanks

Carlos

Hugh,
Mid priced mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (mine)
Low priced mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (my son)
Both are Vista and Win 7 capable.
Latest BIOSes updates upgrade them to Phenom II x4.
Carlos

"Kue2" wrote:

> Looking for a good motherboard to run Vista 64 & Win 7 64 on.
> Not the bleeding edge, have to stay within budget.
>
> Recommendations.
>
> Thanks

Carol Steele

Depends on which processor you are going for. The latest Intel i7 cpu's use
a new spec for motherboards - so without knowing which processor you are
intending to purchase any recommendations are completely meaningless.

I have an Intel i7 920 which I am running on a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
motherboard (one of their higher end mobos with 10 SATA ports and twin
on-board LAN's. This board is great (for me and my purposes), however, there
are cheaper versions of this board available if you don't require this degree
of future proofing.

"Kue2" wrote:

> Looking for a good motherboard to run Vista 64 & Win 7 64 on.
> Not the bleeding edge, have to stay within budget.
>
> Recommendations.
>
> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

All of the i7 motherboards are going to put you on the bleeding edge
pricewise at this point, I'm afraid. Both the procs and the mobos are
expensive. Motherboards are coming down (I've seen a couple in the 150-200
USD range) but that's still pretty expensive.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Carol Steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Depends on which processor you are going for. The latest Intel i7 cpu's
> use
> a new spec for motherboards - so without knowing which processor you are
> intending to purchase any recommendations are completely meaningless.
>
> I have an Intel i7 920 which I am running on a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
> motherboard (one of their higher end mobos with 10 SATA ports and twin
> on-board LAN's. This board is great (for me and my purposes), however,
> there
> are cheaper versions of this board available if you don't require this
> degree
> of future proofing.
>
> "Kue2" wrote:
>
>> Looking for a good motherboard to run Vista 64 & Win 7 64 on.
>> Not the bleeding edge, have to stay within budget.
>>
>> Recommendations.
>>
>> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

I like this suggestion, though I'd also look at the Asus boards in this
range.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hugh,
> Mid priced mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (mine)
> Low priced mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (my son)
> Both are Vista and Win 7 capable.
> Latest BIOSes updates upgrade them to Phenom II x4.
> Carlos
>
> "Kue2" wrote:
>
>> Looking for a good motherboard to run Vista 64 & Win 7 64 on.
>> Not the bleeding edge, have to stay within budget.
>>
>> Recommendations.
>>
>> Thanks

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
i would recommend one in a rectangular shape,
because most pc-cases are the same.

jk

)