Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: drive problem dvd

Re: drive problem dvd

thanatoid

remove <"welsh(remove)wizard29"@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My DVD Rom drive has failed to recognise any disc (CD or
> DVD) since I had to perform a total reload of my Windows XP
> with the Time reload CD. It's no big deal provided my DVD
> Ram drive was ok.
>

> It no longer recognises DVD blank discs! It recognises and
> records CD-R's ok, recognises and plays DVD movies,
> recognises PC game install DVD's - but simply does NOT
> recognise blank DVD's at all.
>
> Any idea why and what I can do to rectify the prob?
>
> The Drives are:
>
> Ram - MAT****A DVD-RAM SW-9581 (that is, MAT S.H.I.T.A)
> Rom - DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C

Google for "DVD drive no longer recognized". MS has a very
simple registry correction to fix this but Googling is easier
than wading through MS's incomprehensibly-structured and indexed
KB.
If that's not he exact problem, that KB article it will probably
give you a link to the right one.

--
Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

thanatoid

"Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

For the OP:
Top-posted disclaimer:
I apologize if you find the following to contain no useful
info/advice whatsoever.

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> remove <"welsh(remove)wizard29"@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> My DVD Rom drive has failed to recognise any disc (CD or
>>> DVD) since I had to perform a total reload of my Windows
>>> XP with the Time reload CD. It's no big deal provided my
>>> DVD Ram drive was ok.
>>>
>>> It no longer recognises DVD blank discs! It recognises
>>> and records CD-R's ok, recognises and plays DVD movies,
>>> recognises PC game install DVD's - but simply does NOT
>>> recognise blank DVD's at all.

<SNIP>

>>> Ram - MAT****A DVD-RAM SW-9581 (that is, MAT S.H.I.T.A)
>>> Rom - DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C

Matsushita is Panasonic and (especially) seeing what else is in
the stores these days, that's not a bad brand. The BTC
("Behavior Tech Computer" brand) is not something I would put in
my machine.

Also, there are DVD drives that do all flavors of DVD (+, -,
/and/RAM), so why do you have two - neither of which does
everything? Buying the right product and keeping things simple
is a good general policy.

>> Google for "DVD drive no longer recognized". MS has a very
>> simple registry correction to fix this but Googling is
>> easier than wading through MS's
>> incomprehensibly-structured and indexed KB.
>> If that's not he exact problem, that KB article it will
>> probably give you a link to the right one.

<SNIP>

> He didn't say the drive is not recognised, it is and can
> read discs and play DVD's.

I admit I didn't read /very/ carefully, but I did see it worked
with most discs, and said that a solution for his specific
problem may be found "nearby". I would blame the XP reinstall or
manufacturer's "OS factory configuration" rather than the drive.

> It dosen't recognise blank DVD media, probably all that is
> required is a firmware
> update as he is probably using new blank discs.

Apparently some burners when used with newer-technology media
(high-speed - that's ALL that matters, right?) require firmware
updates, but it is possible the discs would work at slower
speeds or are simply not very good at any speed. IMO, slower is
better anyway.

Anyway, firmware updates for your burners are easily found. Good
quality media as well.

<SNIP>