Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google earth

Google earth

Cobbler

is it just my computer or has something happened to Christchurch
airport

If I zoom in the runway goes real funny...I can get it to go -795
feet....weird..

any one else have the same thing ???

Me

Cobbler wrote:
> is it just my computer or has something happened to Christchurch
> airport
>
> If I zoom in the runway goes real funny...I can get it to go -795
> feet....weird..
>
> any one else have the same thing ???

Yes.
I'll be over at that part of town later - I'll check it out and report
back if it's real.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Willie wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:05:19 +1200, Willie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>> I'll be over at that part of town later - I'll check it out and
>>> report back if it's real.

>> On my Linux box Google Earth randomly clicking olong the runways the
>> runways go from 95 ft to 120 ft.

> Further to mine above.
>
> At about, on the main runway:
> Latitude: 4328'53.98"S
> Longitude: 17232'16.62"E
>
> There is a bloody big hole - 1200 ft.
>
> Looks like a fault with Giggle, an L shaped grey area.

It's to stop those North Koreans getting the co-ordinates.....
--
Shaun.

Cobbler

>>>Yes.
>>>I'll be over at that part of town later - I'll check it out and report
>>>back if it's real.

>>On my Linux box Google Earth randomly clicking olong the runways the
>>runways go from 95 ft to 120 ft.

>Further to mine above.
>
>At about, on the main runway:
>Latitude: 4328'53.98"S
>Longitude: 17232'16.62"E
>
>There is a bloody big hole - 1200 ft.
>
>Looks like a fault with Giggle, an L shaped grey area.

So its not just me......thanks all ..it was starting to get to me...

Rhino

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:30:57 +1200, Cobbler <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>is it just my computer or has something happened to Christchurch
>airport
>
>If I zoom in the runway goes real funny...I can get it to go -795
>feet....weird..
>
>any one else have the same thing ???

According to my Visual Flight Guide (when I last had my PPL) the
Southern end of runway 02/20 has an elevation of 123 feet ASL, while
the Northern end is 93 feet. The slope is 0.28 up/down, depending on
direction.

I am sure that it hasn't changed in recent years, but like other
people here, I see an L shaped hole of huge depth. You would need
full reverse thrust (and then some) to stop a 737 before falling into
the hole.

I would prefer 11/29 and its 0.35 slope.