Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Telstr Clear, Cable Modem and a Router problem

Re: Telstr Clear, Cable Modem and a Router problem

victor

Willie wrote:
> Can some kind soul help me please?
>
> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.
>
> He's trying to hook in a Netcomm BP504UK Wireless Bundle Router so
> that he can network a couple of machines wirelessly.
>
> Telstra Clear don't know about anything past their cable modem so
> won't help.
>
> The router vendor is no help either and the gentleman at their end is
> hard to understand as he is not Kiwi. Helpdesk is in India, so we
> believe.
>
> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can setup the
> router connection?
>
> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
>
> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address and
enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
(203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they allocated
and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.

hth

victor

Willie wrote:

> Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
> and to enter the IP stuff etc?
>
> Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
> away we go entering stuff and we're away.
>
> So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

Sorry, I'd be glad to but the online manual seems broken.

Mike Dee

Willie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:25:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Willie wrote:
>>> Can some kind soul help me please?
>>>
>>> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.

[...]
>>> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can
>>> setup the router connection?
>>>
>>> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
>>>
>>> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

>>You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address
>>and enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
>>(203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they
>>allocated and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.
>>
>>hth

> Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN
> port and to enter the IP stuff etc?
>
> Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard
> and away we go entering stuff and we're away.
>
> So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

Starting with this page may be of use:

<http://clearnet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/clearnet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1306&p_created=1196302950&p_si d=CMnVZ4zj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_ sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm9 3X2NudD03MjAsNzIwJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mc F9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZ wX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1>

If the incredibly long URL is a bit much, use this TinyURL:
<http://tinyurl.com/m23a5a>

TinyURL preview if you want to check 1st:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/m23a5a

--
dee

David Empson

Willie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:25:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Willie wrote:
> >> Can some kind soul help me please?
> >>
> >> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.
> >>
> >> He's trying to hook in a Netcomm BP504UK Wireless Bundle Router so
> >> that he can network a couple of machines wirelessly.
> >>
> >> Telstra Clear don't know about anything past their cable modem so
> >> won't help.
> >>
> >> The router vendor is no help either and the gentleman at their end is
> >> hard to understand as he is not Kiwi. Helpdesk is in India, so we
> >> believe.
> >>
> >> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can setup the
> >> router connection?
> >>
> >> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
> >>
> >> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

> >You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address and
> >enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
> >(203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they allocated
> >and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.

> Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
> and to enter the IP stuff etc?
>
> Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
> away we go entering stuff and we're away.
>
> So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

The problem may be that the computer is currently configured to use the
static IP address assigned by TelstraClear.

In order to talk to the router to configure it, you'll need to adjust
the Internet settings on the computer to remove the static IP address
(and associated settings) and instead use a DHCP server to get its IP
address.

I recommend writing down all the current settings in case you need to
restore them later. You'll need to enter the same settings into the
router's configuration user interface anyway.

If you don't know how to get to that stuff, it would help to know which
operating system you are running. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

--
David Empson

Enkidu

Willie wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:25:45 +1200, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Willie wrote:
>>> Can some kind soul help me please?
>>>
>>> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.
>>>
>>> He's trying to hook in a Netcomm BP504UK Wireless Bundle Router so
>>> that he can network a couple of machines wirelessly.
>>>
>>> Telstra Clear don't know about anything past their cable modem so
>>> won't help.
>>>
>>> The router vendor is no help either and the gentleman at their end is
>>> hard to understand as he is not Kiwi. Helpdesk is in India, so we
>>> believe.
>>>
>>> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can setup the
>>> router connection?
>>>
>>> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
>>>
>>> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

>> You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address and
>> enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
>> (203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they allocated
>> and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.
>>
>> hth

> Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
> and to enter the IP stuff etc?
>
> Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
> away we go entering stuff and we're away.
>
> So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

What happens when you fire up a browser and point it to 192.168.1.1?

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Willie wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:47:15 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Willie wrote:

>>> Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
>>> and to enter the IP stuff etc?
>>>
>>> Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
>>> away we go entering stuff and we're away.
>>>
>>> So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?
>>>

>> What happens when you fire up a browser and point it to 192.168.1.1?
>>

> Nothing. When we've been on Telecom ADSL 192.168.1.1 allows us into
> the router's wizard. On Clear's cable nothing happens.
>
> On Clear's cable we need to get into something that allows us to edit
> details into the router.
>
> System is XP Pro.

Are you trying to replace the TelstraClear cable modem or does the
Netcomm plug into the TC modem? If so, is it a USB connection or an
ethernet? (Probably doesn't matter too much).

The Netcomm most likely has a web interface. It also may provide IP
addresses via DHCP. Does the XP box's interface show a fixed IP, and if
so, what is it?

If it is a DHCP address like 10.10.10.2 try 10.10.10.1 with the browser.

If it isn't a DHCP address write down the IP address and set it to DHCP
and see if you get an IP address. If you do get an address then try
<first three parts of IP address>.1 in the browser.

Cheers,

Cliff