Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection intermittent

Wireless connection intermittent

Mike254

I have a home networks set up with Linksys WRT45G router tied to a DSL modem.
I have a desktop computer that I connected "wired" to the router and a
laptop that I connect "wireless" to the router. My desktop works great all
the time and never have problems connecting to the internet.

However on my laptop, even though the signal strength is "very strong", I
keep getting kicked off the internet and have to use "network repair" to
reattach. It tells me that it is "waiting for an IP address".

Any thoughts on how to correct?

If I were to "fix" IP address on the laptop, would that help? And if I fix
the IP address of the laptop, will I have go into the router and specify that
address as part of the setup?

Or is there a way on the router to prevent the router from "kicking me off"

Lem

Mike254 wrote:
> I have a home networks set up with Linksys WRT45G router tied to a DSL modem.
> I have a desktop computer that I connected "wired" to the router and a
> laptop that I connect "wireless" to the router. My desktop works great all
> the time and never have problems connecting to the internet.
>
> However on my laptop, even though the signal strength is "very strong", I
> keep getting kicked off the internet and have to use "network repair" to
> reattach. It tells me that it is "waiting for an IP address".
>
> Any thoughts on how to correct?
>
> If I were to "fix" IP address on the laptop, would that help? And if I fix
> the IP address of the laptop, will I have go into the router and specify that
> address as part of the setup?
>
> Or is there a way on the router to prevent the router from "kicking me off"

Assuming that you can successfully connect to your wireless network at
least some of the time, the most likely cause of your problem is
interference, either from nearby wireless networks or nearby electronic
devices.

Is your router and/or laptop near a microwave oven, wireless baby
monitor, cordless telephone, or other wireless device?

Go into your router's configuration utility, click the "wireless" tab
and then on the "Basic Wireless Settings" page, take a look at the
"Wireless Channel" setting. Although you have the choice of from 1 to
11 there is some overlap and for best results nearby wireless networks
should use channels as far apart as possible. The usual default is
channel 6 or 7. If that's what yours is set to, change it to 1 or 11.
If you still have problems using channel 1, try channel 11.

Or, if you don't want to guess, download and install Netstumbler (on
your wireless laptop) and see what other wireless networks are nearby.
http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
In addition take also a look at the Power Saving setting of the Wireless
card.
Try to configure it Not to save Power and see if it helps.
Some Wireless cards once they lap into Power Saving Mode get lazy and do not
want to start working again,
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike254 wrote:
>> I have a home networks set up with Linksys WRT45G router tied to a DSL
>> modem. I have a desktop computer that I connected "wired" to the router
>> and a laptop that I connect "wireless" to the router. My desktop works
>> great all the time and never have problems connecting to the internet.
>>
>> However on my laptop, even though the signal strength is "very strong", I
>> keep getting kicked off the internet and have to use "network repair" to
>> reattach. It tells me that it is "waiting for an IP address".
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to correct? If I were to "fix" IP address on the
>> laptop, would that help? And if I fix the IP address of the laptop, will
>> I have go into the router and specify that address as part of the setup?
>>
>> Or is there a way on the router to prevent the router from "kicking me
>> off"

> Assuming that you can successfully connect to your wireless network at
> least some of the time, the most likely cause of your problem is
> interference, either from nearby wireless networks or nearby electronic
> devices.
>
> Is your router and/or laptop near a microwave oven, wireless baby monitor,
> cordless telephone, or other wireless device?
>
> Go into your router's configuration utility, click the "wireless" tab and
> then on the "Basic Wireless Settings" page, take a look at the "Wireless
> Channel" setting. Although you have the choice of from 1 to 11 there is
> some overlap and for best results nearby wireless networks should use
> channels as far apart as possible. The usual default is channel 6 or 7.
> If that's what yours is set to, change it to 1 or 11. If you still have
> problems using channel 1, try channel 11.
>
> Or, if you don't want to guess, download and install Netstumbler (on your
> wireless laptop) and see what other wireless networks are nearby.
> http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

Mike254

Jack and Lem,

Thanks for the great ideas on how to troubleshoot the cause of my problem.
Actually interference might be a problem. I am just checking my post today.
I hope to have a chance to try out your ideas tomorrow. Today I am pretty
busy. Will let you know what happens.

Just one question to both of you, do you think that using a "static" IP
address is a good idea. I know if I do that, I need to go back to "auto" if
I ever use it on another network, but the only place I use it is at home. So
would a "static" IP make it a more stable connection? BTW, both computers
run XP.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> In addition take also a look at the Power Saving setting of the Wireless
> card.
> Try to configure it Not to save Power and see if it helps.
> Some Wireless cards once they lap into Power Saving Mode get lazy and do not
> want to start working again,
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mike254 wrote:
> >> I have a home networks set up with Linksys WRT45G router tied to a DSL
> >> modem. I have a desktop computer that I connected "wired" to the router
> >> and a laptop that I connect "wireless" to the router. My desktop works
> >> great all the time and never have problems connecting to the internet.
> >>
> >> However on my laptop, even though the signal strength is "very strong", I
> >> keep getting kicked off the internet and have to use "network repair" to
> >> reattach. It tells me that it is "waiting for an IP address".
> >>
> >> Any thoughts on how to correct? If I were to "fix" IP address on the
> >> laptop, would that help? And if I fix the IP address of the laptop, will
> >> I have go into the router and specify that address as part of the setup?
> >>
> >> Or is there a way on the router to prevent the router from "kicking me
> >> off"

> > Assuming that you can successfully connect to your wireless network at
> > least some of the time, the most likely cause of your problem is
> > interference, either from nearby wireless networks or nearby electronic
> > devices.
> >
> > Is your router and/or laptop near a microwave oven, wireless baby monitor,
> > cordless telephone, or other wireless device?
> >
> > Go into your router's configuration utility, click the "wireless" tab and
> > then on the "Basic Wireless Settings" page, take a look at the "Wireless
> > Channel" setting. Although you have the choice of from 1 to 11 there is
> > some overlap and for best results nearby wireless networks should use
> > channels as far apart as possible. The usual default is channel 6 or 7.
> > If that's what yours is set to, change it to 1 or 11. If you still have
> > problems using channel 1, try channel 11.
> >
> > Or, if you don't want to guess, download and install Netstumbler (on your
> > wireless laptop) and see what other wireless networks are nearby.
> > http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
> >
> > --
> > Lem -- MS-MVP
> >
> > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
> > http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
There are few pro and con to static IP.
Performance wise it does not matter. If there is trouble at times a none
static IP is easier to handle.
Since it take less than a minute to change the configuration, let it ride
with Static IP. If it works better for you keep using it.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...