Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Axis client to a generic web service

Java Axis client to a generic web service

Alessandro

Hi all,

I'm not an expert about web service, I've already developed an Axis
java client to a web service developed in Axis too. I've used the very
useful tool "WSDL2Java" implemented by web service to call operations
with very low effort, and downloading a web service stub.

Now I have to develop another client to a web service but it doesn't
implement WSDl2Java tool unfortunately and so I can't use it. Anyway I
have WSDl file and I would like to use Axis.

Any example or suggestion ? Any other tool than WSDL2Java in this
case ?

Thanks and best regards,
Alessandro

Lew

On May 29, 11:28*am, Alessandro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not an expert about web service, I've already developed an Axis
> java client to a web service developed in Axis too. I've used the very
> useful tool "WSDL2Java" implemented by web service to call operations
> with very low effort, and downloading a web service stub.
>
> Now I have to develop another client to a web service but it doesn't
> implement WSDl2Java tool unfortunately and so I can't use it. Anyway I
> have WSDl file and I would like to use Axis.
>
> Any example or suggestion ? Any other tool than WSDL2Java in this
> case ?

WSDL2Java is a standalone tool, and will work if you have a WSDL. You
don't need the web service to "implement" it.

--
Lew

Donkey Hottie

Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2ab10998-6a54-4568-a639-09cb9bb1a427
@s21g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> On May 29, 11:28*am, Alessandro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm not an expert about web service, I've already developed an Axis
>> java client to a web service developed in Axis too. I've used the very
>> useful tool "WSDL2Java" implemented by web service to call operations
>> with very low effort, and downloading a web service stub.
>>
>> Now I have to develop another client to a web service but it doesn't
>> implement WSDl2Java tool unfortunately and so I can't use it. Anyway I
>> have WSDl file and I would like to use Axis.
>>
>> Any example or suggestion ? Any other tool than WSDL2Java in this
>> case ?

> WSDL2Java is a standalone tool, and will work if you have a WSDL. You
> don't need the web service to "implement" it.

What Lew said, the Web Service does not have to be create using Axis in
order for You to use WSDL2Java.

The WSDL file is enough, and you can show it to Microsoft Visual Studio,
Netbeans IDE or any other too which can generate Web Service client from
WSDL. Such tools exist for many many languages from perl to c to basic, for
any imaginable platform.

So, pick your favorite toolkit or platform, and show him the WSDL! The most
important idea behind SOAP is platform indepedency. Any language will do.

Mike Schilling

Donkey Hottie wrote:
> Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> @s21g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On May 29, 11:28 am, Alessandro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm not an expert about web service, I've already developed an
>>> Axis
>>> java client to a web service developed in Axis too. I've used the
>>> very useful tool "WSDL2Java" implemented by web service to call
>>> operations with very low effort, and downloading a web service
>>> stub.
>>>
>>> Now I have to develop another client to a web service but it
>>> doesn't
>>> implement WSDl2Java tool unfortunately and so I can't use it.
>>> Anyway I have WSDl file and I would like to use Axis.
>>>
>>> Any example or suggestion ? Any other tool than WSDL2Java in this
>>> case ?

>> WSDL2Java is a standalone tool, and will work if you have a WSDL.
>> You don't need the web service to "implement" it.
>>

> What Lew said, the Web Service does not have to be create using Axis
> in order for You to use WSDL2Java.
>
> The WSDL file is enough, and you can show it to Microsoft Visual
> Studio, Netbeans IDE or any other too which can generate Web Service
> client from WSDL. Such tools exist for many many languages from perl
> to c to basic, for any imaginable platform.
>
> So, pick your favorite toolkit or platform, and show him the WSDL!
> The most important idea behind SOAP is platform indepedency. Any
> language will do.

What Lew and Donkey said, with the caveat that (as we saw in another
thread) not all web service clients were created equal. If the WSDL or
schema for your web service use less common features, some clients may
support them better than others. (NetBeans didn't support the xs:time
datatype correctly. I know of no clients that support
document/encoded operations, of course, I know of no reference that
explains WTF document/encoded means.) But to the best of my
knowledge, Axis is quite complete, so it's a good one to try first.