Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Forms

Forms

Helpful person

I have at last understood how to write a reasonable web site (at least
to my standards). I would like to learn how to set up a page using
forms to allow direct input into a database (or excel) file. I have
almost zero knowledge of databases but am proficient at excel,
including VBA.

Can someone recommend any books or good on line resources (starting
from a fairly simple level) that will allow me to write useable
forms? I have no problems with the HTML /CSS but need to learn how to
recover the data. It is important for me to understand which methods
are "good practice" and which are not. Will I need to learn a server
side scripting language, and if so, which is most universal and
suitable for this task?

How difficult a task is this for someone who is generally computer and
software savvy?

Thanks,

www.richardfisher.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:11530a99-0c1f-4aad-a395-caa3a1feaa97
@n19g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

> I have at last understood how to write a reasonable web site (at least
> to my standards). I would like to learn how to set up a page using
> forms to allow direct input into a database (or excel) file. I have
> almost zero knowledge of databases but am proficient at excel,
> including VBA.

Never allow data from a client directly into a database. Always validate
the data on the server. Read up on SQL Injection and its prevention.

> Can someone recommend any books or good on line resources (starting
> from a fairly simple level) that will allow me to write useable
> forms? I have no problems with the HTML /CSS but need to learn how to
> recover the data. It is important for me to understand which methods
> are "good practice" and which are not. Will I need to learn a server
> side scripting language, and if so, which is most universal and
> suitable for this task?

You will definately need to learn a server side language. If you already
know VBA, Classic ASP might be a good starting point, or you could go
directly to another. PHP is a good server side language, and pretty easy
to learn.

If you have no knowledge of databases either, then you will also want to
learn SQL - datebases differ but you should be okay once you know the
core language.

Although the HTML at W3Schools leaves a lot to be desired, their lessons
on server side languages are enough to get your feet wet.

> How difficult a task is this for someone who is generally computer and
> software savvy?

It's a never ending journey, there is always something new to learn.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Nico Schuyt

Helpful person wrote :
> I have at last understood how to write a reasonable web site (at least
> to my standards). I would like to learn how to set up a page using
> forms to allow direct input into a database (or excel) file. I have
> almost zero knowledge of databases but am proficient at excel,
> including VBA.
>
> Can someone recommend any books or good on line resources (starting
> from a fairly simple level) that will allow me to write useable
> forms? I have no problems with the HTML /CSS but need to learn how to
> recover the data. It is important for me to understand which methods
> are "good practice" and which are not. Will I need to learn a server
> side scripting language, and if so, which is most universal and
> suitable for this task?

The combination of PHP and MySQL is a good choice. A book like 'PHP and
MySQL for starters' will give all the necessary information.
Or have a look at http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql for an
introduction.
To install PHP, MySQL, Apache etc on your PC, try a package like Xammp:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

> How difficult a task is this for someone who is generally computer and
> software savvy?

If you have experience with VBA , programming in PHP/MySQL shouldn't be a
problem.
Before starting you should read something about database design. For example
articles like http://www.plop68.nl/ebooks/weblinux/sql/ch02_01.htm

Good luck!

--
Nico

Helpful person

Thanks for all the replys. It seems that I should learn sql and php.
This is probably too much of a task for me right now. I think I'll
start with some easy reading and see how I progress.

www.richardfisher.com

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think I'll
> start with some easy reading and see how I progress.

I looked at some of the Enid Blyton books I used to read recently. I
can't understand how I could have read The Famous Five or The Secret
Seven. Ever. But I can easily understand how I could have read about
Noddy and Big Ears though. As for Biggles, well I can still read Biggles
and not be ashamed for myself.

--
dorayme

Helpful person

On May 29, 11:43*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I think I'll
> > start with some easy reading and see how I progress.

> I looked at some of the Enid Blyton books I used to read recently. I
> can't understand how I could have read The Famous Five or The Secret
> Seven. Ever. But I can easily understand how I could have read about
> Noddy and Big Ears though. As for Biggles, well I can still read Biggles
> and not be ashamed for myself.
>
> --
> dorayme

Same books that I used to read. However, Enid Blyton's Noddy would
now be considered politically incorrect today. (Remember Robertson's
jams?)

www.richardfisher.com

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (Remember Robertson's
> jams?)

We used to fight to open a new jar...

--