Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Happy Birthday COBOL

Happy Birthday COBOL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Turns 50 today <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/cobol_fifty/>.

Matty F

On May 29, 2:16 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Turns 50 today <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/cobol_fifty/>.

I've been told that my 35 year old COBOL programs for a major
Australasian company are still running fine. Why change them? They are
bug free

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gvngij$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Turns 50 today <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/cobol_fifty/>.

And yes, there really is a Cobol Road in Cardiff
<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sll=37.788081,-95.712891&sspn=49.570133,62.753906&ie=UTF8&ll=51.5 27703,-3.08321&spn=0.004833,0.011222&t=h&z=17>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <cd4b1569-d367-4644-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F wrote:

> I've been told that my 35 year old COBOL programs for a major
> Australasian company are still running fine. Why change them? They are
> bug free

Fred Brooks in his classic book described what happened with certain large
and complex programs, which had grown to the point that every bug fix or
feature enhancement you tried to add to them would break something somewhere
else, so it was essentially impossible to make any net improvement to them.

Matty F

On May 29, 10:52 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <cd4b1569-d367-4644-
>
> (E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F wrote:
> > I've been told that my 35 year old COBOL programs for a major
> > Australasian company are still running fine. Why change them? They are
> > bug free

> Fred Brooks in his classic book described what happened with certain large
> and complex programs, which had grown to the point that every bug fix or
> feature enhancement you tried to add to them would break something somewhere
> else, so it was essentially impossible to make any net improvement to them.

One program was a stock picking and distribution system, based on
several year's sales, special promotions etc. The rules were complex
but even a non-COBOL programmer would be able to change the code if
necessary.
The other was a COBOL compiler that could almost compile itself!

Enkidu

Matty F wrote:

> The other was a COBOL compiler that could almost compile itself!

That's not that surprising. Most compilers can compile themselves.

Cheers,

Cliff

Matty F

On May 30, 1:42 pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
>
> >> The other was a COBOL compiler that could almost compile itself!

> That's not that surprising. Most compilers can compile themselves.

But COBOL would not be the language of choice to write a compiler.
Unless as in this case, there were no other languages available.

Enkidu

Matty F wrote:

>> That's not that surprising. Most compilers can compile themselves.

> But COBOL would not be the language of choice to write a compiler.
> Unless as in this case, there were no other languages available.

Don't know why not. COBOL is not that bad at strings and number
crunching. I read somewhere that the Fortran compiler was written in a
dialect of Fortran and the APL interpreter was written in APL (though
obviously that had to be bootstrapped).

Cheers,

Cliff

Nik Coughlin

news:gvo0ha$lsf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <gvngij$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Turns 50 today <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/cobol_fifty/>.

> And yes, there really is a Cobol Road in Cardiff
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sll=37.788081,-95.712891&sspn=49.570133,62.753906&ie=UTF8&ll=51.5 27703,-3.08321&spn=0.004833,0.011222&t=h&z=17>.

As well as a Fortran Road and a Pascal Close

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gvv93n$84c$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:gvo0ha$lsf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In message <gvngij$cm2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Turns 50 today <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/28/cobol_fifty/>.

>> And yes, there really is a Cobol Road in Cardiff

<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sll=37.788081,-95.712891&sspn=49.570133,62.753906&ie=UTF8&ll=51.5 27703,-3.08321&spn=0.004833,0.011222&t=h&z=17>.

> As well as a Fortran Road and a Pascal Close

Couldn't find Pascal Close, though.

Happy Birthday Modfather unholy The Lounge 17 01-13-2006 07:13 AM
OT: Happy Birthday [You forgot, you !@#*(] Microcephalic S. Bob MCSE 2 11-15-2005 02:18 PM
OT: Happy Birthday Jtyc MCSE 18 11-15-2005 04:02 AM
OT:Happy Birthday CBIC MCSE 59 11-08-2005 09:21 PM
Say Happy Birthday!!!! unholy The Lounge 20 07-04-2005 01:49 AM

Advertisments