Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switched on?

why do I have to "repair connection" every time pc is switched on?

=?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

Hi
I have XP SP2 and get my broadband connection via cable modem and router.
My usb adapter does fire up after start up but I have to click on "repair
connection" every time I switch on the PC. Is there a solution to this?
Any help appreciated

optikl

alberto wrote:
> Hi
> I have XP SP2 and get my broadband connection via cable modem and router.
> My usb adapter does fire up after start up but I have to click on "repair
> connection" every time I switch on the PC. Is there a solution to this?
> Any help appreciated

What do you use to configure and manage the USB connection? Do you use
the Wireless Zero Connection utility, or do you use the utility which
came with your adapter? You might try removing the adapter and
reinserting it and see what happens before you initiate a repair.
If you are using a 3rd party wireless connection utility that came with
the adapter, try unistalling it and reinstalling the latest version from
your wireless adapter vendor. If all of the above fails to resolve your
problem, then try using just your Windows Wireless Zero Connection
Utility to manage the connection.

=?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

..
Hi
thanks for your comments. The usb adapter is totally managed by windows;
when I first plugged the device in the usb port and put the installation cd
disk in it did not let me use to software it came with but stated that
windows would manage it.
I checked that the wireless zero connection utility is turned on and indeeed
it it is.
alberto

"optikl" wrote:

> alberto wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have XP SP2 and get my broadband connection via cable modem and router.
> > My usb adapter does fire up after start up but I have to click on "repair
> > connection" every time I switch on the PC. Is there a solution to this?
> > Any help appreciated
> >

> What do you use to configure and manage the USB connection? Do you use
> the Wireless Zero Connection utility, or do you use the utility which
> came with your adapter? You might try removing the adapter and
> reinserting it and see what happens before you initiate a repair.
> If you are using a 3rd party wireless connection utility that came with
> the adapter, try unistalling it and reinstalling the latest version from
> your wireless adapter vendor. If all of the above fails to resolve your
> problem, then try using just your Windows Wireless Zero Connection
> Utility to manage the connection.

Clark

I loose track sometimes of which devices are doing what, but it seems to me
I read something about a USB adapter made by Linksys (I think) that stated
not to allow the setup routine to run in XP, but it did go on to give
instructions on how to install the driver.

Which device are you using, and what driver do you show for it in the device
manager? Be specific on the device and include version number so it can be
found on the manufacturers website. Maybe Windows is having to find a
driver every time you reboot. Since USB devices are hot plugable, perhaps
it has something to do with that.

Clark

"alberto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> .
> Hi
> thanks for your comments. The usb adapter is totally managed by windows;
> when I first plugged the device in the usb port and put the installation
> cd
> disk in it did not let me use to software it came with but stated that
> windows would manage it.
> I checked that the wireless zero connection utility is turned on and
> indeeed
> it it is.
> alberto
>
> "optikl" wrote:
>
>> alberto wrote:
>> > Hi
>> > I have XP SP2 and get my broadband connection via cable modem and
>> > router.
>> > My usb adapter does fire up after start up but I have to click on
>> > "repair
>> > connection" every time I switch on the PC. Is there a solution to this?
>> > Any help appreciated
>> >

>> What do you use to configure and manage the USB connection? Do you use
>> the Wireless Zero Connection utility, or do you use the utility which
>> came with your adapter? You might try removing the adapter and
>> reinserting it and see what happens before you initiate a repair.
>> If you are using a 3rd party wireless connection utility that came with
>> the adapter, try unistalling it and reinstalling the latest version from
>> your wireless adapter vendor. If all of the above fails to resolve your
>> problem, then try using just your Windows Wireless Zero Connection
>> Utility to manage the connection.

=?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

Hi Clark
Thanks for your comments; indeed my usb adapter is by ATMEL, which i
understand comes under Linksys. i reinstalled the driver from the CD and
switch off the pc. after reboot it seemed to connect to server automatically,
ie. no need for me to click on repair. Thanks for the help I hope this fix
will actually last!
Cheers
Alberto

alberto wrote:
> .
> Hi
> thanks for your comments. The usb adapter is totally managed by windows;
> when I first plugged the device in the usb port and put the installation cd
> disk in it did not let me use to software it came with but stated that
> windows would manage it.
> I checked that the wireless zero connection utility is turned on and indeeed
> it it is.
> alberto

Then, just for the sake of knowing, I would suggest disabling the XP
Zero Configuration Utility (services.msc) and trying the software that
came with the USB adapter. Of course, I'd recommend making sure you have
the latest utility from your USB Adapter vendor. If this doesn't work,
you can always uninstall it and go back to using Windows ZCU by
reenabling the service.

=?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJ0bw==?=

hi
Tried your suggestion; disabled WZC; result: no connection!
Re enabled WZC; result: connected to the server provider automatically i.e.
without having to click on repair. Worked fine for 24 hrs then this morning
after switching on the PC again it needed to go via repair connection!

My next try will be to use a different usb adapter to establish if the
problem is my current adapter or the xp wireless set up procedure...very
frustrating.
just for fun: my 7 yrs old daughter said to me: daddy it was much easier
with windows 98!!!