Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB flash drive not recognized

USB flash drive not recognized

Zap Eagle

Rgr
Yes I have!
Thank you

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Zap Eagle wrote:
>> I have been in and out today to physical therapy and the doctor. Just go
>> back again. To attempt to clarify my situation concerning these flash
>> drives I've tried to keep
>> the message smaller. My problem is I have tried 4 different
>> brands/sizes of flash drive and the computer does not
>> recognize them as a bonafide drive with a drive letter. I have tried an
>> external hard drive and it does recognize that and will assign a drive
>> letter. When I click on the safely remove icon it show that something is
>> there, previous to posting I did try the R click on my computer - device
>> manager.
>>
>> The follwing is what I added to the previous post
>>
>> [This is what is under device manager - I just happened to have
>> the lexar flash drive in now.
>>
>> Universal Serial Bus controllers
>>
>> USB Mass Storage Device
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>>

>> Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
>> Manuafacturer: Compatible USB storage device
>> Location: Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE SPORT) ]
>>
>> If I click on properties on the Location: (Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE
>> SPORT)) and run the troubleshooter, it finds nothing wrong. I have
>> uninstalled the driver on this
>> location and all the "USB Root Hubs" with no positive results. The only
>> difference with the other branded flash drives is that their name will
>> show up under the Loaction
>> spot list above that currently has Lexar currently in it.
>>
>> Why will hard drive work and none of flash drives will. The only thing
>> the computer will recognize is what shows up under the "Safely Remove
>> Hardware" icon clicking on it.
>> Otherwise, no drive letter, no evidence of flash drive anywhere else in
>> computer.
>>
>> I apologize if my clarity is lacking, the only other way I can think of
>> showing this better is with screen shots which isn't looked upon
>> favorably in this newsgroup.

> Hehe, you are doing just fine and I'm sure Mike will happen along in a few
> minutes and straighten all this out. We're just having a bit of a
> tte--tte, all in good fun, and you got caught.
>
> PS, did you try the ports on the back of the computer? I'm serious, this
> could make a difference.

Mike Easter

Zap Eagle wrote:
> My problem is I have tried 4 different
> brands/sizes of flash drive and the computer does not
> recognize them as a bonafide drive with a drive letter.

Recognized correctly no yellow alert in device manager, not in My
Computer - Removable Storage

Let's use the links in the help center to see if we get some more
information.

Start/ Help/ use term USB to search - select from the section Overviews,
Articles, & Tutorials the item called Resolving USB controller
installation issues (even tho' the usb controller properties said no
problem) -

Then skip the parts about the device not being in the device manager and
the part about the yellow warning icon and read the rest to see if
anything applies to your situation. If not, click the hardware
troubleshooter link there which will give you an option for a wizard for
USB device problem.

--
Mike Easter

Zap Eagle

Hi Mike,
I did not get a yellow warning icon and have tried the troubleshooting
wizard to no avail. This is
on my cousins computer. The had no antivirus and got multiple trojans and
viruses that Spysweeper's
anti-virus portion of their suite supposedly cleaned up. In addition to
proceeding they had a browser
hijacker and an active desktop hijacked. Seems to have cleared everything
else up, they had no idea
if the flash drive ever worked! They never used one before. I just had
some utility programs such as
ccleaner, threatfire, etc. to place on their computer and discovered this
problem.

Prior to me trying to help out I asked them to purchase a flash drive to
copy their data and picture files.
I was able to bring those to my external hard drive for them and will burn
them to a DVD for them for
now. It just befuttles me why this is happening.

I actually removed thier hard drive and scanned it externall with Norton
Internet Security also. The computer
is a Lenovo and would have blasted it and reinstalled if they could find
their disks or maybe they ever had them.

Thanks for all the attempted help!

wisdomkiller & pain

Zap Eagle wrote:

> Yes I have!

Top-posted with fullquote, AKA "posting TOFU"?

Now, you tried 4 flashdrives - probably fresh out of the hazardous plastic
blisterpacks?
Did you need a pair of scissors to get them out of the blisterpacks?

In the end, did you PARTITION and FORMAT them?
I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
to create a partition and to format it?

Zap Eagle

No,
I use these myself expcept for the Best Buy one and have lot of information
on them and they do work on my computers!
"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Zap Eagle wrote:

>> Yes I have!

> Top-posted with fullquote, AKA "posting TOFU"?
>
> Now, you tried 4 flashdrives - probably fresh out of the hazardous plastic
> blisterpacks?
> Did you need a pair of scissors to get them out of the blisterpacks?
>
> In the end, did you PARTITION and FORMAT them?
> I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
> without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
> to create a partition and to format it?

Zap Eagle

plus they don't give you the format option anyway, sorry forgot to add in

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Zap Eagle wrote:

>> Yes I have!

> Top-posted with fullquote, AKA "posting TOFU"?
>
> Now, you tried 4 flashdrives - probably fresh out of the hazardous plastic
> blisterpacks?
> Did you need a pair of scissors to get them out of the blisterpacks?
>
> In the end, did you PARTITION and FORMAT them?
> I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
> without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
> to create a partition and to format it?

Jordon

wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

> I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
> without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
> to create a partition and to format it?

Another thing he should try while in disk management (provided
he can see it in disk management) is to change the drive letter.

I've had Windows try and assign USB drives with letters that
are already allocated to other existing drives. After changing
the drive letter, they show up in Explorer.

--
Jordon

Zap Eagle

It doesn't show a drive letter.
"Jordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gvpc8j$3qn$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
>
>> I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
>> without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
>> to create a partition and to format it?

> Another thing he should try while in disk management (provided
> he can see it in disk management) is to change the drive letter.
>
> I've had Windows try and assign USB drives with letters that
> are already allocated to other existing drives. After changing
> the drive letter, they show up in Explorer.
>
> --
> Jordon

wisdomkiller & pain

Zap Eagle wrote:

> It doesn't show a drive letter.

But does it show something under (right-click) properties?

Zap Eagle

The only two spot anything show up is at

Under "device manager">>>>>>

Universal Serial Bus controllers

USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Manuafacturer: Compatible USB storage device
Location: Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE SPORT) ]

Under "Safely Remove Hardware">>>>>>>>>>

Safely Remove USB mass storage Device

There is no drive letter behind the above!