Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Suggestions for photo sharing sites?

Suggestions for photo sharing sites?

MaryL

I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
because there are so many of them.

Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
I am going to look into that.

Thanks,
MaryL

tony cooper

On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:46:32 -0500, "MaryL"
<(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
>photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
>like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
>me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
>photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
>arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
>done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
>and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
>individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
>because there are so many of them.
>
>Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
>I am going to look into that.

You really haven't explained what you want to do. Do you want to put
up the images so other people can see them, or do you want to put up
the images so other people can download them or order prints?

I've used several photo hosting sites, and none of the crop the images
to any specified ratio. Some have maximum dimensions, but the ratio
will be what you upload.

You can do a nice album presentation or slide show with JAlbum (free)
or Photobucket (free), and both have bulk uploaders. Neither requires
any particular crop ratio. There will be a maximum size, though.

I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
If any.

If you are willing to pay for a service, I recommend SmugMug. For a
large number of photos, you can set up several galleries. See mine at

All three of these hosts can be Googled.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Twibil

On May 27, 10:44*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you are willing to pay for a service, I recommend SmugMug. *For a
> large number of photos, you can set up several galleries. *See mine at

Forget something, did we?

tony cooper

On Wed, 27 May 2009 22:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Twibil
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On May 27, 10:44*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> If you are willing to pay for a service, I recommend SmugMug. *For a
>> large number of photos, you can set up several galleries. *See mine at

>Forget something, did we?

No, actually I changed my mind and forgot to change the post. I was
going to provide a link and thought better of it. It's not hard to
find, though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Dave P.

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

snipped bits

> I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
> ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
> If any.

Hi,

I'm just starting to play with Picasa on my PC and intend to try it for web
albums to share pictures with friends. Why wouldn't you touch Picasa; is it
a anti-Google thing or is there something wrong with the product itself?

--
Regards,

Dave P.

tony cooper

On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:07:10 +0100, "Dave P."
<dave_dot_petty@removebaesystems_dot_com> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>snipped bits
>>
>> I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
>> ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
>> If any.
>>

>Hi,
>
>I'm just starting to play with Picasa on my PC and intend to try it for web
>albums to share pictures with friends. Why wouldn't you touch Picasa; is it
>a anti-Google thing or is there something wrong with the product itself?

It takes over your images and creates a directory on your HD. I like
to manage my own files.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

GregS

In article <4a1e1729$0$23775$(E-Mail Removed)>, "MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
>photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
>like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
>me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
>photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
>arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
>done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
>and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
>individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
>because there are so many of them.
>
>Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
>I am going to look into that.

When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

tony cooper

On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:54:33 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GregS)
wrote:

>In article <4a1e1729$0$23775$(E-Mail Removed)>, "MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
>>photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
>>like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
>>me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
>>photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
>>arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
>>done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
>>and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
>>individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
>>because there are so many of them.
>>
>>Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
>>I am going to look into that.

>When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
>internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
>http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
knowledge or want to learn html.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ray

On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:46:32 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
> photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and
> would like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who
> travelled with me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have
> checked out several photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.),
> and most of them will arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6"
> dimensions. That seems to be done so people can order online, but I can
> print these same photos myself and they look just fine. Those same
> sites offer an opportunity to individually set cropping sizes, but that
> would take a great deal of time because there are so many of them.
>
> Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested,
> and I am going to look into that.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

One possibility would be to set up a personal web site - then you can post
what you like, how you like. I beleive netfirms.com has some free hosting
available - commercial ones start at $60/year and offer greater resources.

GregS

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:54:33 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GregS)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <4a1e1729$0$23775$(E-Mail Removed)>, "MaryL"

> <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>>I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
>>>photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
>>>like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
>>>me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
>>>photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
>>>arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
>>>done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
>>>and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
>>>individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
>>>because there are so many of them.
>>>
>>>Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
>>>I am going to look into that.

>>When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
>>internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
>>http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

>I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
>minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
>knowledge or want to learn html.

Very minimal with an editor like ACDSee. It makes the pages. You can make the
pictures any size, the thumnails any size, any # of pages, any colored pages.
If you can't do FTP, your an internet dumbo.

greg