Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Curious questions regarding 64-bit apps on a W2K8 64-bit server

Curious questions regarding 64-bit apps on a W2K8 64-bit server

AllenM

I also posted this in a few other windows server NG's so pardon the double
posting. I didn't know there was a 64-bit NG. It would be great to get as
many opinions as possible. Thanks.

I got a DELL 64-bit server that I am configuring with W2K8 Standard 64-bit.
I've got plenty of disk space and made my C: partition 60GB. I noticed by
default W2K8 created a CProgram Files and a C:\Program Files (x86)
directories. Pretty much self explainatory. When I load 64-bit apps by
default the install directory points to C:\Program Files I assume because it
recognizes the application as being a 64-bit app. On the other hand when I
load a 32-bit application be default the install directory points to
C:\Program Files (x86). So my question is are 64-bit applications "required"
to be installed in the C:\Program Files directory in order for it to be
recognmized and run as a 64-bit app or can I create and install all my
64-bit and 32-bit applications on a different partition such as D:\Program
Files for 64-bit apps and D:\Program Files (x86) for 32-bit apps?

Charlie Russel - MVP

As posted over on SBS NG, yes, you can install to D:\Program Files and
D:\Program Files (x86) if you wish. Just make sure you don't mix and match
32-bit and 64-bit applications in the same directory tree - that can get
messy, especially since the file system (and registry) is viewed somewhat
differently by 32-bit and 64-bit applications.

An example of the file system differences. A 64-bit application uses the
%windir%\System32 directory. It can also see (but doesn't normally use) the
%windir%\SysWOW64 directory. A 32-bit application only sees the
%windir%\SysWOW64 directory, _but it sees it as %windir%\System32._ (And if
that doesn't confuse you the first time you see it, you're better than the
rest of us!)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"AllenM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I also posted this in a few other windows server NG's so pardon the double
> posting. I didn't know there was a 64-bit NG. It would be great to get as
> many opinions as possible. Thanks.
>
> I got a DELL 64-bit server that I am configuring with W2K8 Standard
> 64-bit.
> I've got plenty of disk space and made my C: partition 60GB. I noticed by
> default W2K8 created a CProgram Files and a C:\Program Files (x86)
> directories. Pretty much self explainatory. When I load 64-bit apps by
> default the install directory points to C:\Program Files I assume because
> it
> recognizes the application as being a 64-bit app. On the other hand when I
> load a 32-bit application be default the install directory points to
> C:\Program Files (x86). So my question is are 64-bit applications
> "required"
> to be installed in the C:\Program Files directory in order for it to be
> recognmized and run as a 64-bit app or can I create and install all my
> 64-bit and 32-bit applications on a different partition such as D:\Program
> Files for 64-bit apps and D:\Program Files (x86) for 32-bit apps?

AllenM

No more confusion. thanks charlie.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As posted over on SBS NG, yes, you can install to D:\Program Files and
> D:\Program Files (x86) if you wish. Just make sure you don't mix and match
> 32-bit and 64-bit applications in the same directory tree - that can get
> messy, especially since the file system (and registry) is viewed somewhat
> differently by 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
>
> An example of the file system differences. A 64-bit application uses the
> %windir%\System32 directory. It can also see (but doesn't normally use)
> the %windir%\SysWOW64 directory. A 32-bit application only sees the
> %windir%\SysWOW64 directory, _but it sees it as %windir%\System32._ (And
> if that doesn't confuse you the first time you see it, you're better than
> the rest of us!)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "AllenM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I also posted this in a few other windows server NG's so pardon the double
>> posting. I didn't know there was a 64-bit NG. It would be great to get as
>> many opinions as possible. Thanks.
>>
>> I got a DELL 64-bit server that I am configuring with W2K8 Standard
>> 64-bit.
>> I've got plenty of disk space and made my C: partition 60GB. I noticed by
>> default W2K8 created a CProgram Files and a C:\Program Files (x86)
>> directories. Pretty much self explainatory. When I load 64-bit apps by
>> default the install directory points to C:\Program Files I assume because
>> it
>> recognizes the application as being a 64-bit app. On the other hand when
>> load a 32-bit application be default the install directory points to
>> C:\Program Files (x86). So my question is are 64-bit applications
>> "required"
>> to be installed in the C:\Program Files directory in order for it to be
>> recognmized and run as a 64-bit app or can I create and install all my
>> 64-bit and 32-bit applications on a different partition such as
>> D:\Program
>> Files for 64-bit apps and D:\Program Files (x86) for 32-bit apps?

Error 500 with a Asp.Net 2.0 site with IIS 7/W2K8 Oriane ASP .Net 1 05-19-2009 01:41 PM
Saving web.config caused W2K8 SP1 Machine Restart Howard Hoffman ASP .Net 4 03-24-2009 04:12 PM
W2K8 Advanced Backup Susmita MCDST 3 07-22-2008 05:22 AM
Top 3 firewalls, anti-virus apps, anti-spyware apps The Master of The Known Universe Computer Support 10 05-12-2006 11:00 PM
Running python apps from within python apps aph Python 4 01-14-2006 04:06 PM

Advertisments