Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 x Oracle 10g XE

Win7 x Oracle 10g XE

TMA

Hello,

I tried to install Oracle 10g XE several times under Win7 x64 with no
success.
The setup utility runs a system check and detects Win7 as version 6.1, while
Oracle setup expects the OS to be 6.0.
Is there a bypass for this? Or is there a way to make Win7 shows itself as
version 6.0 instead of 6.1?
Thanks in advance.

Bobby Johnson

Look at the properties of the setup file and see if it will let you run
it in the compatibility mode. If Vista x64 w/SP2 is an option select
that. If not, then select the Previous version.

However, be prepared for problems just in case there is something about
Oracle that might not be compatible with Win 7. I tried this with one
program and the system crashed with an error that a driver was not
compatible. Backup you system before you try this. I had to restore
mine from a backup.

You really should contact Oracle and talk to their Tech support about
this issue.

TMA wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install Oracle 10g XE several times under Win7 x64 with no
> success.
> The setup utility runs a system check and detects Win7 as version 6.1,
> while Oracle setup expects the OS to be 6.0.
> Is there a bypass for this? Or is there a way to make Win7 shows itself
> as version 6.0 instead of 6.1?
> Thanks in advance.

TMA

Thanks Bobby for your post.
In fact I had this same thought right after hitting the "send" button for my
It does run the setup program and bypasses the OS version check, but for
some weird reason the install process took like 30 minutes using 100% of my
CPU and was about to eat all my RAM, so I decided to stop it.
I've checked Oracle's website, but couldn't find anything related to Win7,
so I guess I'll just wait a little more to see news from Oracle.
Right now I'm going to see if I can use VMWare to run Oracle 10g XE on a XP
virtual machine and try to access it from Win7. If I succeed, I'll be able
to keep developing on this platform.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Look at the properties of the setup file and see if it will let you run it
> in the compatibility mode. If Vista x64 w/SP2 is an option select that.
> If not, then select the Previous version.
>
> However, be prepared for problems just in case there is something about
> Oracle that might not be compatible with Win 7. I tried this with one
> program and the system crashed with an error that a driver was not
> compatible. Backup you system before you try this. I had to restore mine
> from a backup.
>
> You really should contact Oracle and talk to their Tech support about this
> issue.
>

> TMA wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried to install Oracle 10g XE several times under Win7 x64 with no
>> success.
>> The setup utility runs a system check and detects Win7 as version 6.1,
>> while Oracle setup expects the OS to be 6.0.
>> Is there a bypass for this? Or is there a way to make Win7 shows itself
>> as version 6.0 instead of 6.1?
>> Thanks in advance.

TMA

Just a PS ....

I wasn't trying to install Oracle 10g XE, but Oracle 11g Enterprise. Sorry
for the "typo".
In fact, Oracle 10g XE universal installs smoothly under Win7.