Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I can't get a straight answer damn'it!!!

I can't get a straight answer damn'it!!!

Maxje

I have a 500Gig Simpleteck external hard drive which makes automatic
back-ups every week. Naturally, they are piling up and I would like to
delete prior back-ups but lo and behold, there are no instructions in their
help files or google about deleting old back-ups.

Can I just go window explorer/simpledrive''X'' erase? (I have Eraser)
whatever folder I see under simpledriveXX date? Also when I run system
defrag it indicates I should defrag that drive. Is that appropriate or just
BS?

My question is very basic yet, it seems nobody covers it in a documentary
fashion! I tried to do my homework

Thank you in advance for those who will help me.

PeeCee

"Maxje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gvieqr$pii$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have a 500Gig Simpleteck external hard drive which makes automatic
>back-ups every week. Naturally, they are piling up and I would like to
>delete prior back-ups but lo and behold, there are no instructions in their
>help files or google about deleting old back-ups.
>
> Can I just go window explorer/simpledrive''X'' erase? (I have Eraser)
> whatever folder I see under simpledriveXX date? Also when I run system
> defrag it indicates I should defrag that drive. Is that appropriate or
> just BS?
>
> My question is very basic yet, it seems nobody covers it in a documentary
> fashion! I tried to do my homework
>
> Thank you in advance for those who will help me.

Maxje

As your Simpletech appears to be nothing other than a normal USB external
hard drive you can just delete old files using Windows Explorer.
However it is up to you to work out which is old and which is not.

However if I may make a suggestion that will make your life a lot easier in
the long run, get rid of that crappy Arcsoft Total Media Backup software.
A few of my clients are forced to use that program by their head office and
both they and I find it very limiting and inflexible.

Download and install the freeware 'Syncback' from here:
http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html
Using Syncback to make your backups will keep the size within bounds and
much faster after the initial backup.

Note Syncback does not create historical backups.
If you need something that does try Cobian Backup 9 from here:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
A much better program than what came with your drive, including the ability
to set the number of backup copies to keep.

Best
Paul.

Whiskers

On 2009-05-27, Maxje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a 500Gig Simpleteck external hard drive which makes automatic
> back-ups every week. Naturally, they are piling up and I would like to
> delete prior back-ups but lo and behold, there are no instructions in their
> help files or google about deleting old back-ups.
>
> Can I just go window explorer/simpledrive''X'' erase? (I have Eraser)
> whatever folder I see under simpledriveXX date? Also when I run system
> defrag it indicates I should defrag that drive. Is that appropriate or just
> BS?
>
> My question is very basic yet, it seems nobody covers it in a documentary
> fashion! I tried to do my homework
>
> Thank you in advance for those who will help me.

You haven't said anything about what your back-up system is, only that it
uses an external hard drive. If you are making cumulative back-ups - ie
each back-up session only records the changes since the last one - then do
not delete anything, or you'll risk destroying the entire back-up.

You should learn about the various ways there are of keeping back-ups, and
decide which suit your needs best, and then get suitable software or
manual routines in place and make sure you understand exactly what is
happening. Don't just let 'something' do 'automatic back-ups' and hope
that it will have been doing what you really need when you need to rely on
it.

--
-- Whiskers