Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Odd Windows keyboard problem.

Odd Windows keyboard problem.

impossible

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>>
>> "Roger_Nickel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3;
>>> old
>>> keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
>>> Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
>>> Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
>>> replying.

>> You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC. This
>> will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have been
>> corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation disk
>> handy, or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to copy.
>> Then reboot.
> >

> I've never risked SFC. It seems to me that if you run XP + SP3 and you use
> a CD with vanilla XP you are asking for trouble. If the SFC replaces files
> from SP3 with ones from from vanilla that's a problem. If it doesn't
> replace them then it does nothing.

Good point. But if you run SFC and point it to a set of SP3-slipstreamed
installation files, all is well.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

> Windows isn't enumerating the hardware properly. Now I'm
> curious and I won't rest until I know why.

Good luck.

Bobs

On May 27, 1:31*pm, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> When I boot windows the keyboard is disabled but mouse works OK. Device
> Manager shows "Error 10, unable to start---" . Delete and then re-install
> the driver and keyboard works OK until the next reboot. Works fine on
> Linux so keyboard probably OK. Signature of the i8042.sys file checks OK
> and a system roll-back doesn't fix the problem. Very strange. Ideas?

Try adding it through the add hardware wizard rather than letting
windows detect it via plug and play.

Roger_Nickel

On Wed, 27 May 2009 12:10:05 +0000, impossible wrote:

> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>>
>>> "Roger_Nickel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC.
>>> This will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have
>>> been corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation
>>> disk handy, or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to
>>> copy. Then reboot.
>> >

>> I've never risked SFC. It seems to me that if you run XP + SP3 and you
>> use a CD with vanilla XP you are asking for trouble. If the SFC
>> replaces files from SP3 with ones from from vanilla that's a problem.
>> If it doesn't replace them then it does nothing.
>>

> Good point. But if you run SFC and point it to a set of SP3-slipstreamed
> installation files, all is well

I got the slipstream disk working and ran sfc. The problem turned out to
be a loose power connector on the hard disk drive. What an anticlimax...