Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Active Directory EXam 70-294

Active Directory EXam 70-294

mike

I am preparing for the exam, but would like to clarify how ntbackup restores
active directory when restoring to an alternate location. All the literature
- including the official MS Training Kit - I've found states that "when
restoring to an alternate location the AD db, COm + files and certificates db
are not restored." However, I have performed this task in Windows 2003 R2
server and my tests show that ALL FILES- were restored to the alternate
location including ntds.dit file.
Is this true only for some versions of Windows server? I appreciate yout
time and input. Thank you.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am preparing for the exam, but would like to clarify how ntbackup
>restores
> active directory when restoring to an alternate location.

It doesn't.

> All the literature
> - including the official MS Training Kit - I've found states that "when
> restoring to an alternate location the AD db, COm + files and certificates
> db
> are not restored."

This is correct.

> However, I have performed this task in Windows 2003 R2
> server and my tests show that ALL FILES- were restored to the alternate
> location including ntds.dit file.

This is also correct.

The Active Directory service looks for the NTDS.DIT folder in a specific
location. If you restore an NTDS.DIT file to an alternate location, the AD
service won't be able to see it there -- thus, restoring to an alternate
location does not restore, because the active NTDS.DIT is still in the same
place it was before you started the restore to the alternate location.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

mike

That's what I thought, but I was intrigued by the literature that
specifically states to restore system state to an alternate location whenever
autho restoring an AD leaf or object. I assumed they ommitted the part about
first restoring the AD db to its original location and that the alternate
location part applies to sysvol only. Otherwise it would not work.
Thnx for the clarification. It should help for the test. : )
Regards.