Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: What text editor is everyone using for Python

Re: What text editor is everyone using for Python

J Kenneth King

LittleGrasshopper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> With so many choices, I was wondering what editor is the one you
> prefer when coding Python, and why. I normally use vi, and just got
> into Python, so I am looking for suitable syntax files for it, and
> extra utilities. I dabbled with emacs at some point, but couldn't get
> through the key bindings for commands. I've never tried emacs with vi
> keybindings (I forgot the name of it) but I've been tempted.
>
> So what do you guys use, and why? Hopefully we can keep this civil.

Google should provide you with millions of responses.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <35e44e77-fdd1-470a-b5ad-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, LittleGrasshopper wrote:

> On May 25, 10:44 am, J Kenneth King <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> LittleGrasshopper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> Google should provide you with millions of responses.

> I know Google (as a matter I read this group from Google.) I was
> hoping for some new insightful responses.

A wise man once said to me "go read the Internet".

Lacrima

I am new to python.
And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

J Kenneth King

Lacrima <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am new to python.
> And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
> But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
> So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

That is a slightly better question.

Try some of the free alternatives. I do happen to use emacs. It took
me quite a lot of adjusting to get used to it after being a vim user
for almost ten years. Doesn't cost anything to give one a shot and
see if it works for you. The choice of editor is a personal one
(hence the reluctance to answer your original question).

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Why buy an IDE when you just need a text editor ? I don't get it.
Anyway gvim (aka vim aka vi) and emacs are the most powerful editors for
years. Both have Windows and Linux version and most important, they both
are very effective at editing any file type (python, C, latex, love
letters...)
Emacs is more accessible to the newby but requires time to master its
complex features.
Gvim may be complex for the newby due to its command/insertion mode
constant switch, but is as powerful as emacs can be. Being a gvim adept,
I should stat that gvim is far better but it would only feed the
neverending war.

Jean-Michel

Lacrima wrote:
> I am new to python.
> And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
> But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
> So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

Ken Seehart

Lacrima wrote:
> I am new to python.
> And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
> But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
> So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

It's my favorite. Buy it. I'm not aware of any better choices.

If you can afford the Pro version buy that, especially if you are
planning any large projects. But take a peek at the feature list before
making that decision: http://www.wingware.com/wingide/features . Some
of my favorite Pro features are test suite support, advanced debugging,
and code folding. The debugger is way more powerful in the Pro version.

Of course, favorites are ultimately determined by religious preference.

Ken

David Smith

Lacrima wrote:
> I am new to python.
> And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
> But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
> So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

I use Wing IDE and like it. It very nicely enforces consistent space
indentations and other Python basics that might fall through the cracks
when writing. I'm not too hot on the auto-suggest, but I haven't seen
any other IDE do better.

--David

Ken Seehart

Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> Why buy an IDE when you just need a text editor ? I don't get it.
> Anyway gvim (aka vim aka vi) and emacs are the most powerful editors
> for years. Both have Windows and Linux version and most important,
> they both are very effective at editing any file type (python, C,
> latex, love letters...)
> Emacs is more accessible to the newby but requires time to master its
> complex features.
> Gvim may be complex for the newby due to its command/insertion mode
> constant switch, but is as powerful as emacs can be. Being a gvim
> adept, I should stat that gvim is far better but it would only feed
> the neverending war.
>
> Jean-Michel

I've heard notepad is pretty good. http://www.notepad.org/

Ken

Bar Shirtcliff

Ken Seehart writes:

| Lacrima wrote:
| > I am new to python.
| > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
| > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
| > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?
| >

| I've heard notepad is pretty good. http://www.notepad.org/
|
| Ken

Seriously. I actually know a programmer who does all of his work in
notepad: no macros, syntax-highlighting, or any other robust features,
plus that horrible font.

I use emacs. No alternative presentation rivals, for me, the ability
to program your editor while you use it. Never having to reach for
the mouse in emacs is a terrific (and optional) bonus.

I guess it depends on how you work. If you're willing to invest a
fair amount of time in your editor and you like the idea of being able
to drastically modify your editor while you use it, you should
consider emacs. Emacs has a good on-line help system, including a
friendly emacs lisp introduction. If you're using a Mac, check out
Aquamacs Emacs.

I can't say a thing about other editors, except that when some shell
script perversely dumped me into vi a month ago, I felt as horrified
as if some actually living bugs had crawled out of my own reflection
on the computer screen and fallen, clicking and scraping, onto the
keyboard. That's a personal reaction - totally irrelevant, of course.

Bar

Dave Angel

Lacrima wrote:
>> I am new to python.
>> And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
>> But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
>> So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

I'm a little surprised nobody has explicitly mentioned Komodo IDE (the
full version). Although it's not free, it has plenty of useful
features, is very configurable, supports Python and a host of other
languages, and is a full IDE with an out-of-process debugger. This
means you can step through GUI code, without it interfering with the
debugger's event loop.

You can customize it in four ways:
1) through Edit->Preferences
2) through recorded macros
3) through macros written in Javascript
4) through macros written in Python

A subset of Komodo IDE is available as Komodo Edit, which is open source.

Apparently Komodo is developed from some of the same code base as
Firefox, so they can be integrated more tightly when debugging internet
stuff. I haven't tried anything of the sort, so
I can't say how well this works, and for what.