Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Performance of small NAS boxes

Performance of small NAS boxes

Bobs

On May 26, 10:07*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
>
> > If you want a fast way to do a backup to an external drive that you
> > can take off site, you can get a 1>2Tb external drive with an eSATA
> > connection for little cash. Blazingly fast speed (although the one I
> > just bought didn't actually come with an eSATA cable, so I backed up
> > >300Gb over Firewire. Ouch.)

> Sounds painful. I've just fitted two more of these to my desktop:
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=372808
>
> Full SATA speed and you can remove the drive in seconds.
>
> (BTW, ignore the writing on that page, it's all wrong, wasn't like that a
> couple days ago when I ordered them. Just look at the picture.)
>
> I have four of those bays in my desktop now, the bay that holds my boot
> drive is locked, all the others can hold various drives at different times.
> Great idea IMO.
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
> he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

That looks cool. There are also hard drive docks with e-sata which are
apparently excellent

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...sp?partid=8680

Got that exact model at work, but it doesn't come with an e-sata cable
dammit.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bobs wrote:
> On May 26, 10:07 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> If you want a fast way to do a backup to an external drive that you
>>> can take off site, you can get a 1>2Tb external drive with an eSATA
>>> connection for little cash. Blazingly fast speed (although the one I
>>> just bought didn't actually come with an eSATA cable, so I backed up

>> Sounds painful. I've just fitted two more of these to my desktop:
>>
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=372808
>>
>> Full SATA speed and you can remove the drive in seconds.
>>
>> (BTW, ignore the writing on that page, it's all wrong, wasn't like
>> that a couple days ago when I ordered them. Just look at the
>> picture.)
>>
>> I have four of those bays in my desktop now, the bay that holds my
>> boot drive is locked, all the others can hold various drives at
>> different times. Great idea IMO.

> That looks cool.

Yeah, they work really well, full speed SATA 2 and hot-swapable.

> There are also hard drive docks with e-sata which are
> apparently excellent

I have a couple that are eSATA and USB and have included 6 port powered USB
hubs. I've not tried the eSATA side of them even though my desktop has two
eSATA ports, as I have the hot-swap docks. I use them on my laptops.

> http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...sp?partid=8680
>
> Got that exact model at work, but it doesn't come with an e-sata cable
> dammit.

I have the same beast, sans eSATA, connected to my Philips DVP3252 DVD
player so I can play avis / mp3s directly from HDD. I got the Vantec
straight USB version as I knew it worked with the Philips whereas the USB /
eSATA ones don't.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Space between input boxes and selection boxes is not the same in Internet Explorer Stefan Mueller HTML 5 06-16-2009 02:06 PM
Small Text Boxes? Akhenaten HTML 4 05-29-2007 07:12 PM
Small cameras getting too small? GRL Digital Photography 50 02-03-2006 03:12 AM
[Q] NAS and L3 performance hifur2002 Cisco 4 01-13-2004 06:06 AM
Small Cat.5 Boxes H Computer Support 0 12-03-2003 11:26 AM

Advertisments