Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Cannot find server (Upon entering an invalid address)

Re: Cannot find server (Upon entering an invalid address)

Mike Easter

John R. Baker wrote:
> If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a
> "Cannot find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running
> Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)

I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click an
address in. That way you don't get typos.

> I would like to get a warning, with the offending address still in the
> IE8 address bar. I can usually spot my typo, and a quick correction,
> and then re-request the desired page.

The first thing that has to happen is that your nameserver resolves the
site's name into an IP. There are tools which show you that process
happening, but your browser doesn't.

> Now, however, the address bar changes over to
> http://wwww33.not-found-entry.org/search?qg=..., folowed by a text
> string. The body of the displayed page shows a Yahoo! SEARCH page. It
> says "Did You Mean:" followed by one or more "suggestions".

What is your nameserver? It must be sending you to that page similar to
the way my nameserver opendns sends me to a page of suggestions.
Earthlink's nameservers also send one to an advertiser's page. I didn't
like that so I switched.

> I want to DISABLE this supposed "help" and revert to the OLD way of

just
> displaying a warning, and allowing me to edit my mis-spelling.

Change your nameservice.

--
Mike Easter

Jm

The OP can't even control his own browser! What makes you think he even knows what a ****ing nameservice is?

>> How can I make this change?

> --
> Mike Easter

wisdomkiller & pain

Mike Easter wrote:

> John R. Baker wrote:
>> If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a
>> "Cannot find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running
>> Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)

> I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click an
> address in. That way you don't get typos.

In particular, when you receive that friendly mail from your bank requesting
you to enter all your account data and the pincode "because something
happened at their site" ...
The problem is, links can display anything but lead you elsewhere ...

John Holmes

Jm "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> The OP can't even control his own browser! What makes you think he
> even knows what a ****ing nameservice is?

Please ignore Mike Easter and Evan Platt. They never come up with
solutions. The only thing they do is ask which OS the OP is using, that
obviously, can be retrieved from th OP's poasting headers.

--
<snip>

Mike Easter

wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click

an
>> address in. That way you don't get typos.
>>

> In particular, when you receive that friendly mail from your bank
> requesting you to enter all your account data and the pincode "because
> something happened at their site" ...

Very funny. I also don't open my spam, or even let it get into my Inbox
with goodmail.

> The problem is, links can display anything but lead you elsewhere ...

I also don't render html email except under very limited and specific
conditions.

--
Mike Easter