Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WEP encryption

WEP encryption

MSNews

I came to a small company that had WEP encryption. I am trying to convince
them to at least go with WPA.
They think WEP is good enough. Do insurance companies look at such things
when investigating claims from damages resultant from a wireless breach? I
though I would thro that at them also.

Craig

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Most insurance companies probable have No standard about it.
How ever you can be sure that if something happens and there is litigation
about the issue it would come up and might reduce the insurance carrier
responsibly.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"MSNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I came to a small company that had WEP encryption. I am trying to
>convince them to at least go with WPA.
> They think WEP is good enough. Do insurance companies look at such
> things when investigating claims from damages resultant from a wireless
> breach? I though I would thro that at them also.
>
> Craig

kermit

MSNews wrote:
> I came to a small company that had WEP encryption. I am trying to
> convince them to at least go with WPA.
> They think WEP is good enough. Do insurance companies look at such
> things when investigating claims from damages resultant from a
> wireless breach? I though I would thro that at them also.
>
> Craig

There may be harware upgrades requried for this small company to begin using
WPA. Part of their reluctance may be spending more money. I doubt there
would be any precedent for reduced insurance coverage due to using
established wireless security methods (WEP) but just not the most rigorous
(WPA).

Lem

MSNews wrote:
> I came to a small company that had WEP encryption. I am trying to convince
> them to at least go with WPA.
> They think WEP is good enough. Do insurance companies look at such things
> when investigating claims from damages resultant from a wireless breach? I
> though I would thro that at them also.
>
> Craig

You might point out that a Google search for "how to crack wep" returns
over 38,000 hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

kermit

Lem wrote:
> MSNews wrote:
>> I came to a small company that had WEP encryption. I am trying to
>> convince them to at least go with WPA.
>> They think WEP is good enough. Do insurance companies look at such
>> things when investigating claims from damages resultant from a
>> wireless breach? I though I would thro that at them also.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> You might point out that a Google search for "how to crack wep"
> returns over 38,000 hits:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

I did a Google search for "jerks that suggest google" and got 1.39 million
hits

Lem

kermit wrote:

> I did a Google search for "jerks that suggest google" and got 1.39 million
> hits

I doubt it.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search
Information No results found for "jerks that suggest google".

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

kermit

Lem wrote:
> kermit wrote:
>
>> I did a Google search for "jerks that suggest google" and got 1.39
>> million hits
>>

> I doubt it.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search
> Information No results found for "jerks that suggest google".

Were you connected to the internet at the time?

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,390,000 for jerks that suggest google. (0.28
seconds)

Lem

kermit wrote:
> Lem wrote:
>> kermit wrote:
>>
>>> I did a Google search for "jerks that suggest google" and got 1.39
>>> million hits
>>>

>> I doubt it.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search
>> Information No results found for "jerks that suggest google".

> Were you connected to the internet at the time?
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,390,000 for jerks that suggest google. (0.28
> seconds)

Your searches would be more productive if you learned a bit about Google
search basics instead of being such a pompous ass.

http://www.google.com/support/websea...&answer=136861

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

kermit

Lem wrote:
> kermit wrote:

>>> I doubt it.
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search
>>> Information No results found for "jerks that suggest google".

>> Were you connected to the internet at the time?
>>
>> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,390,000 for jerks that suggest google.
>> (0.28 seconds)
>>

> Your searches would be more productive if you learned a bit about
> Google search basics instead of being such a pompous ass.
>
> http://www.google.com/support/websea...&answer=136861

A pompous ass would be someone who suffixes his name with MS-MVP yet the
only answer he can muster is telling a person to try Google.