Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Asherv (Not Responding)

Asherv (Not Responding)

Emrys Davies

I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6

Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding) in
the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

VanguardLH

Emrys Davies wrote:

> I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
>
> Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding) in
> the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
> using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

Emrys Davies

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gvbkr6$d4r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Emrys Davies wrote:
>
> > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
> >
> > Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not

Respnding) in
> > the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue

by
> > using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

> Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

It is not shown in 'Find Files and Folders'.

Mike Easter

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
>
> Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding)

in
> the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
> using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

The legitimate asherv.exe is supposed to be part of the Avast AV
function.

--
Mike Easter

Emrys Davies

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gvbkr6$d4r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> > Emrys Davies wrote:
> >
> > > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
> > >
> > > Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not

> Respnding) in
> > > the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and

continue
> by
> > > using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

> > Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

Sorry, I have fooled you. It is Ashserv. It is in C:/Program
Files/Alwil Software/Avast 4. I have Avast software installed.

Emrys Davies wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>
>> Emrys Davies wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
>>>
>>> Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding) in
>>> the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
>>> using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

>> Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

> Sorry, I have fooled you. It is Ashserv. It is in C:/Program
> Files/Alwil Software/Avast 4. I have Avast software installed.

Although I use Avast!, I haven't used Windows 98 in about a decade.
You sure you are going into Standby instead of, say, Hibernate or
shutting down? Programs don't unload when going into Standby mode. If
programs are unloading (i.e., you are seeing a Close dialog) then you
are exiting Windows which means you are *not* going into Standby mode.
The whole point of Standby mode is to leave everything running but just
turn off some hardware and reduce the CPU's duty cycle to reduce power
consumption, and you can immediately come out of Standby mode with
everything running just like it was. If programs are closing then
nothing is just like it was before going into Standby.

http://forum.avast.com/ are their forums. If you don't catch someone
here using both Avast and Windows 98 then you might find someone over
in their forums. Of course, you could ask the source (you'll need to
register): http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit.

I'd suggest that you first determine why any programs are closing when
you go into Standby mode. Programs remain running in Standby mode.